2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Help finding/fixing flasher (or related)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:33 PM
malamute84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help finding/fixing flasher (or related)

I'm posting this for my friend, who owns a 2001 Neon. Basically, when she attempts to use her blinkers (either left or right), they blink maybe once, then stop. Also, when she turns on her hazards, they blink a handful of times before stopping. All fuses are fine.

I've been trying to research this as much as possible, and at this point I'm thinking it's probably the flasher that's the problem. For some reason, though, I can't seem to find it in her car - the clicking seems to be coming from somewhere behind the instrument panel, but I've read other people saying it's located with the fuses under the hood. I've looked there but the flasher relay is not among those that are there.

In summary, what I want to know is:

1. Is the flasher indeed located behind the instrument panel? If so, how easily is the panel removed?
2. From my searches, I've found that there seems to be both a flasher relay and an electronic flasher terminal involved... which one should I be concentrating on fixing?
3. Is the flasher indeed the most likely source of the problem? It seems unlikely that all four bulbs need replacing, and I don't notice any humming that may indicate that the multifunctional switch is broken.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to any answers and/or advice you may have.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker
Default RE: Help finding/fixing flasher (or related)

as stupid as this sounds try using the signal when the wheel is turned at different angles.
if the condition changes, she needs a new mfs (multifunction switch)

Old 04-16-2008, 06:51 PM
KARR
Record Breaker

How do I change my front turn signal bulbs on a 2000 Neon? Mines seem to have stopped working. The backs work fine and they make a fast clicking/flashing.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:31 PM
malamute84

I'm almost positive that they still don't work when the wheel's turned, but later on I'll try it... to make sure I understand, you're saying if turning the wheel fixes the problem then it's the mfs that's broken?

Edit: I asked her, and she said it doesn't matter what position the steering wheel is in... so right now I'm still thinking it's the flasher, but I still have the same questions I asked earlier...

Quick Reply: Help finding/fixing flasher (or related)