2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Stubborn Crankshaft Pulley '02 Neon SXT

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:17 AM
sxt2565
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stubborn Crankshaft Pulley '02 Neon SXT

Need some help with this one. I have a 2002 Neon SXT 2.0L with 113K that recently begin 'backfiring' during acceleration. Cylinder compression and vaccuum tests passed, and no stored trouble codes. This leads me to believe the timing belt may be to blame. This leads me to my problem with fixing my problem.

The crankshaft pulley is being very stubborn when I try to remove. I am using a 2 ton 3-jaw puller and the pulley has not budged!? Any larger gear puller will notfit theinside center of crank pulley so I am limited, asfar as I know, in the tool I can use.

Any suggestions???

-Thanks in advance!

Old 04-23-2008, 01:33 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Default RE: Stubborn Crankshaft Pulley '02 Neon SXT

Nothing else you can do other then put A LOT of elbow grease into it...the pulley will eventually budge and it will come off. You could try getting a big flat head screwdrive and "prying" it out to help get it loose, but you risk cracking the outer timing cover...Just make sure you have the right insert also. BTW, when reinstalling the pulley make sure you throw it int he oven for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees...it will slide onto the crank perfectly.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Adionik
Champion
Default RE: Stubborn Crankshaft Pulley '02 Neon SXT

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

Nothing else you can do other then put A LOT of elbow grease into it...the pulley will eventually budge and it will come off. You could try getting a big flat head screwdrive and "prying" it out to help get it loose, but you risk cracking the outer timing cover...Just make sure you have the right insert also. BTW, when reinstalling the pulley make sure you throw it int he oven for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees...it will slide onto the crank perfectly.
It will slide on there but I will say that you deffinetely need to use an impact gun. It will go back a lot further onto the shaft.

BTW the chrysler pulley puller is about 1/2inch too short to fully remove the pully. So even if you go rent that huge *** black pulley with the red box especially made for Chryslers, it's not going to do the job. You'll have to cut the head off a bolt and give the input rods more length. You'll know what i'm talking about when you remove it and have it all infront of you.

Quick Reply: Stubborn Crankshaft Pulley '02 Neon SXT