2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

subwoofer issuses

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Baddog44
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: subwoofer issuses

see i have 2 12" mtx audios with a 800 kenwood pushing it and if i get the volume up too high then my amp will start cutting out because it is trying to pull more power than it is capable of supplying. i got 8 right now but i need to go down to a 4 gauge.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:45 PM
KARR
Record Breaker

Thata nice but this thread wasnt a "What I have in my car thread" LOL. joking. But for real where is the guy that needed help? If you fixed it let us know.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Baddog44
Professional

ok well i wasnt pulling an airwolf, my post actually had reference to his problem....

I was simply saying that mine does the same thing his does (except i think his amp completely shuts off not just cut off) and that its because i need a bigger gauge wire....could possibly be his problem because he has a **** load of power on his hands and if his wires arent 0 or 4 then that could be part of his problem....that and the fact that his cap might not be big enough but im sure it is fine

Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 PM
inthewerks
Veteran

if your getting noise into your amp it may pop the subs and cause the amp to shut off. get a set of rca's that have the grounding wire on them and maybe a ground loop isolator also. i dont think the cap is a problem. all it does is charge and discharge to regulate the power supply. if anything, its the rca signal or power and ground wires.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:39 AM
night709
Veteran

Sorry for the long pause and what not. Ran into somethings in my day to day life. Took picture of all the setup but can't seem to find my camera. I tore abpart my room (which I now have to clean) I think I have it in my car or at my friends. The RMS of each sub is 1000w.

Here are the stats for the amp:
[*]2 x 370 wattsRMS @ 4 ohms[*]2 x 440 watts RMS @ 2 ohms[*]1 x 880 watts RMS @ 4 ohms[*]20.7"x 2.3" x 11"[*]MOSFET Power Supply[*]PWM Circuitry[*]Variable Hi/Low Crossovers[*]Three-Way Protection Circuit[*]2 ohm Stereo Stable[*]Tri-Mode Capable[*]LPF 40-250 Hz[*]HPF 40-250 Hz[*]18 dB Bass Boost @ 45 Hz[*]Frequency Response 10Hz to 30 KHz[*]S/N Ratio 98 dB[*]THD: .02%[*]4 AWG Power / Ground Terminals[*]Platinum Coated Signal Inputs[*]Pre-Amp Output[*]High Level Inputs w/ Floating Ground[*]Dash-Mount Level Control

Old 05-03-2008, 10:57 AM
night709
Veteran

Here are the sub stats for each of them:
[*]molded polypropylene woofer cone[*]102-ounce double stacked magnet structure[*]frequency response 20-200 Hz[*]power range 100-500 watts RMS (250 watts per coil)[*]peak power handling 1,000 watts

I do believe I am running a 4 gauge wire from the front to the back.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Undesolved
Veteran

what do have you got the subs wired down to? you also might wanna post this in the audio/video section cause they tend to be more helpful...

Old 05-03-2008, 05:59 PM
eaks
Professional

What do you mean your having your breaker at the cap blow? I dont believe theres any caps that have a breaker in them.. Unless you are talking about your fuse/breaker at your battery wire (it should be within 6"s of the possitive terminal to keep the wires from burning)..

Now i think i know what your problem is (and its nothing that has been mentioned so far).. Im not sure on thoes amps.. but my last setup was an alpine type X and MRD monoblock amp.. the whole setup was like 1000watt rms.. so it was working fine.. then it got to the point where it would work for a few seconds and then shutoff.. I would have to turn off my deck and turn it back on to have the sub come back on (and only for a matter of a few seconds b4 it would shutdown again)..

The problem i was having (I believe) was that one of the voice coils in my sub was blown and when the sub would hit that voice coil would cause a short (if the hit was hard enough) and then my amp would see that its output was shorted and my amp would go into protection mode (displayed "CUR" on the amps display..which showed that there was a current issue at the amps output).. So I bought a new type X and its still pounding now (sold it to a buddy of mine) and i went with a 12" kicker L7 and kenwood amp..

So check your amp whiile your sub gets shutoff and see if it shows anything (if its digital look for a msg and if its not look for a light or something)..

Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

turn down the settings on the amp as well... then slowly bring them up until it shuts itself off... and then just bring the settings to the point were you can push ur sound system without blowing it.... but it honestly sounds like you have a bad ground, one of ur subs is blown.... which btw unless the subs are internally bridged i think your amp might be underpowered for it but you should still be able to put some kind of sound though it....also check the "REMOTE" wire comming from your headunit to the amp... a short in that wire could cause some major problems like that as well...

Old 05-04-2008, 02:34 AM
KARR
Record Breaker

Thats what I said itsounds likea ground. Also where is your Amp mounted? Is it over heating? If its mounted to the sub box the vibration could be causing the system to shut off.

Quick Reply: subwoofer issuses