2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

subwoofer issuses

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:25 PM
night709
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subwoofer issuses

I have two Rockford Fosgate Stage 3 12" Subs, a SPL 1920watt Amp, and a capacitor.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../SubandAmp.jpg

The problem is that when I turn up the volume up a quarter of the way on my deck, it takes less then one song depending on the bass in it. It pops the breaker on the capacitor and shuts off my amp which no longer makes the subs work. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this meaning if I have to get another amp or another capacitor.

Any ideas?

Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 PM
inthewerks
Veteran
Default RE: subwoofer issuses

man, electrical issues could be sooooo many things. what guage power wire you runnin?? is the ground wire the same guage?? you using rca or high level inputs tyo your amp?? is the amp rms power equal to or less than the rms rating of your subs?? did you try to discharge and recharge your capacitor?? answer these questions for me and ill be able to narrow down the problem for you.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:35 AM
KARR
Record Breaker

Hes right ^^^. Did you install the system yourself? Did you match up the speakers, haedunit, amp, etc, or did the place you got it from put that package together for you? I install my own system into my cars so help us out here with some more detailed info. It could be your cap doesnt have enuff power. Try a bigger cap,BUT before you do that answer our questions.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:12 PM
night709
Veteran

I will tomorrow, will take pictures of all the wiring and get the answers for it all. A friend and I installed it.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:48 PM
KARR
Record Breaker

Ok. Make sure you do so we can help you. Also did you buy the system new or used?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:54 PM
night709
Veteran

Everything was bought brand new.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Baddog44
Professional

with all that power i hope you got 4 gauge wires all over the place...cuz if not then your amp/cap will be tryin to push way tooo much power through too small of wire causing it to push more power than required

Old 05-01-2008, 02:21 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd say the capacitor is too small for the amount of power you are trying to get through it..... if i were you i would have a 10 farad or w/e units they measure them in capacitor at the very least.... i would also be using 4 or 0 guage wire EVERYWHERE! lol i would also check to see if your amps settings are turned all the way up or not... if they are turned all the way up that could also be why nothing is working right.... you have to tune your amp... search google for a how-to and let us know whats up

Old 05-01-2008, 02:54 AM
Captansavaho
Captain

there is no way he is running that much power to wear its blowing it..i mean you gotta have a banging system....i got a 15" kicker l7 with a 2500w amp...and a 2 farad cap...and i have yet to blow it once...is wiring has to be wrong somewhere...go over all the wiring..first

Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 AM
KARR
Record Breaker

Im running two 12's and a 500 or 600w amp (Ihavent looked at it since I installed it) without a cap that I install myself when I first got the car and I have yet to have any problems. Im using Stringer wires. Its probably his wires. What guage and brand are you using? Check ALL your connections. It could be your ground wire. I remember my friend installed my system 10 yrs ago and he didnt ground it right so every once in a while myamp would shut off plus he used some cheap RCA's. We fixed it after buying name brand RCA's and grounding it properly. Lesson with me was dont use cheap wires and ground it the right way.(My faultfor the long explanation)

Quick Reply: subwoofer issuses