2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

removing side moldings

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:36 AM
beemik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: removing side moldings

I have an 03 and I just did this last weekend in the heat of the sun on a black car. I used fishing line and bug and tar remover. There is some slight bubbling but nothing noticable. The bigger issue is the fading or oxidizing of the clear coat (at least I'm told that's what it is). I used rubbing compound, then black polish, then wax, the three steps one would do to finish the exterior (so I'm told). To say the least i have a white line on the drivers side door that can only be seen at certian angles.
A friend of mine did his and when he wiped the dirt off the car that builds up under the moulding he also wiped all the paint off down to the primer. His car is a 2000. My advice. Take your time. Do a front door first because they tend to come out the worst. be prepared to either put them back on, or ger some body work done. I'm not trying to be negative jus think you should be prepared.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

I have an 04 and I did mine Summer of 06. Had no problem, didn't even use heat gun or fishing line. Did have to clean up the adhesive, but no paint problems at all. Did it on about a 70 degree day.
Was thinking it was the year of the car, but there may be another factor. I live in Michigan where (yuk!) it is cold and snows part of the year. Maybe states where the sun beats down all the time is the places where there are problems with paint when takin these off

Old 05-02-2008, 09:48 PM
inthewerks
Veteran

well, mines an 05 with that off white paint. i think its called stone white. paint code is PW1. i live in tucson where it gets really hot. like 110 or something. does my paint or temperature play a factor of paint problems upon removal of moldings?? its a newer car so im thinking its okay but dont want to risk paint damage. maybe this mod isnt really for me.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:55 PM
DarkRider

I remove mine like durring last fall and i didn't use any thing i just peel it off and use a sponge and alcohal that removie tuff dirt or stain for cars.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:46 PM
AirWolf

I have to say your rides do look nice without the sidemoldings but I like them on and since everybodys taken them off . My ride will be the only one on here with them on and she will still look good.

Quick Reply: removing side moldings