2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Lots of Brake/Turn Noises...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 03:17 AM
Twan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of Brake/Turn Noises...Help!

Wow, I am having quite a few noises with my Neon.

1) I'm hearing a 'cluck, cluck, cluck' when I am braking. However, it doesn't start to take full effect unless I've been driving for 10 or so minutes.

2) I hear a whistling after driving for awhile too. Bearings? I had some work done to my front right tire after I had a minor accident (new control arm, new strut I believe too). Guy at Midas said I needed a new steering knuckle, but Dodge dealer said it looked fine.

3) When I make turns with the Neon, I'll hear one single POP. Doesn't happen all the time, but this one just started!

This is frustrating. It's an 05 Neon! Thankfully I still have the Carmax and the Dodge Warranty, but when I took it to Dodge they just told me my brake shoes were dirty and charged me $130. Now I'm hearing noises again!

Old 05-24-2008, 03:40 AM
Exubus
Champion
Default RE: Lots of Brake/Turn Noises...Help!

Had the same problem with two other vehicles under similar circumstances. It sounds to me like 98% chance you are right, it is your wheel bearing. If you have the access, it is possible to take everything apart and press it out yourself and replace it. If not, you can pay for it which shouldn't be too bad on the wallet, but obviously more expensive than a DIY job. Important: Just make sure that you replace the brake rotors and pads with new, and have an alignment done afterwards. Even a brand new rotor and pads can get completely shot under LIGHT driving conditions in less than week when the wheel bearing is bad. And of course, a wheel alignment is necessary after everything is disassembled and reassembled from the bearing swap...

Just my 2 cents... had a dealership replace all my front suspension and associated compenents one time after and accident (read further and understand I have NEVER been to a dealership since, done it myself after that)... and align it too... but they skipped the bearings and two weeks later I damn-near flipped my car on the interstate when I tapped the breaks because the wobbling wheel bearing warped the rotors and created enough imbalance in the bearing at that point to literally cause very unexpected wheel-hop at 70 mph when I tapped the breaks lightly while it was raining... and I slid off an off-ramp and changed my underwear thereafter... keep in mind that when a wheel bearing goes out, the results can be very unexpected and drastic, and possibly life-threatening in the right driving conditions. I would definitely rattle someone's chain about this, whoever worked on it for you...

Old 05-24-2008, 03:42 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

oh man they got you good.its something internal like the bearings because i had the same problem and thats what it was.man i would check that warranty because something wasn't fixed during your accident..good luck

Old 05-24-2008, 11:48 AM
KARR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ptschafer

Had the same problem with two other vehicles under similar circumstances. It sounds to me like 98% chance you are right, it is your wheel bearing. If you have the access, it is possible to take everything apart and press it out yourself and replace it. If not, you can pay for it which shouldn't be too bad on the wallet, but obviously more expensive than a DIY job. Important: Just make sure that you replace the brake rotors and pads with new, and have an alignment done afterwards. Even a brand new rotor and pads can get completely shot under LIGHT driving conditions in less than week when the wheel bearing is bad. And of course, a wheel alignment is necessary after everything is disassembled and reassembled from the bearing swap...

Just my 2 cents... had a dealership replace all my front suspension and associated compenents one time after and accident (read further and understand I have NEVER been to a dealership since, done it myself after that)... and align it too... but they skipped the bearings and two weeks later I damn-near flipped my car on the interstate when I tapped the breaks because the wobbling wheel bearing warped the rotors and created enough imbalance in the bearing at that point to literally cause very unexpected wheel-hop at 70 mph when I tapped the breaks lightly while it was raining... and I slid off an off-ramp and changed my underwear thereafter... keep in mind that when a wheel bearing goes out, the results can be very unexpected and drastic, and possibly life-threatening in the right driving conditions. I would definitely rattle someone's chain about this, whoever worked on it for you...
Dam man. Good thing you or no else was hurt. I would tried to sue them or make them do the job again and do it right.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:25 PM
mat663
All Star

Yeh, sounds to me like a wheel bearing.
I dont know if this is just me, but my local dodge dealership is worthless. They cant help me for ****. I ask a simple question, like where can i locate my pressure steering switch, or what size tires will fit on a 17 x 7 (before i got my lovely and god-like rims lol...not really), and they just simply replied, "I don't know"...and thus, making my long trip there pointless. And till this day, I still dont know where that switch is. That is the source of my CEL. Maybe someone can also help me? Ptschafer sounds really knowledgable. Pwease...

Old 05-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Exubus
Champion

Well 205/40/17's are about the closest size you will find that matches the stock diameter. As far as the pressure steering switch, I am honestly not sure about that one. I could suggest the basics, looking around the steering rack, pump,or around the booster maybe, but other than that I have no idea where it is (haven't really ever had to look for it... yet lol).

Quick Reply: Lots of Brake/Turn Noises...Help!