2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Turbo ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:47 PM
2003SXTneon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo ?'s

so i've been doing some reading and i am unsure on a few things; I have 94000 on my odom whats better a swap or a rebuild with a hahn kit? If i am reading right no matter what i go with i can only run up to about 10psi safely. i Plan on doing this in a yr when my car is paid off. I will be getting a loan for 6000 for this swap/rebuild. Any info/opinions please. i am back and forth on what i should do, 1 day its 1 then i read something new and then it's the other.They both seem great, but whats realistic.(if that makes snese)thnx alot mike

Old 05-26-2008, 10:49 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper
Default RE: Turbo ?'s

well mike...... there is SEVERAL ways to look at it.... i was in the same boat u were in about two years ago... and one BIG factor u NEED to look at is what u state inspection consist of... first of all i see u live in cali?? very very hard to get away with a swap out there.... i live in ny and the swap thing was going to be a pain in the ***.... such as NOT LEGAL......in mystatethey hook up a computer to ur ecu.. the computer will fail it if it is not the stock engine.... well when u do a 2.4 swap u have to run the stock 2.4 ecu..... but it is good to go to SEVERAL different inspection stations to see what they say... lucky for me iwork in the buisness of autoparts and see garages everyday.....so instead iwent with a built 2.0 engine with turbo.... stock internals i was taking stock srts out with it... just to give u an idea of speed....(quarter mile) any other questions just post....i have been there and done that so i will put my two cents in when i can....

Old 06-01-2008, 01:04 AM
2003SXTneon
Professional

thnx dtjackten for the info. I think i might just rebuild and do a hahn turbo. it seems like it would be hard to find a 2.4 thats in good shape, and it doesnt seem to promising to try and piece one together either. so you said u were taking out stock srts huh, how much boost you pushing and whitch kit did you get? I was also looking at the rebuild kits on modern do you know anything bout them? did u change ur compression ratio?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:32 PM
badneonrt

im tryin to turbo my stock r/t its an 01 so could i get an idea on how much psi the stock engine will handle??? i hear i could run 8 safely so i figured i would go with about 5 haha... just to get her started and as i build i will turn it up to my satisfaction???

Old 06-01-2008, 08:40 PM
whtdoesitmatter
Captain

u can make great power but at a great cost....and its something u don't wanna try to cheat n do cheaply not all ebay parts are good...

Old 06-01-2008, 09:05 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

thnx dtjackten for the info. I think i might just rebuild and do a hahn turbo. it seems like it would be hard to find a 2.4 thats in good shape, and it doesnt seem to promising to try and piece one together either. so you said u were taking out stock srts huh, how much boost you pushing and whitch kit did you get? I was also looking at the rebuild kits on modern do you know anything bout them? did u change ur compression ratio?
i was running 8psi, but my car was a custom build... no kit for me... i built it for about 3k.. STOCK bottom end... i ran a 13.89 in the quarter mile... the rebuilds i am not sure on... if u are looking to go with a bottom end to... go with a 8:1 compression pison, i went with wiesco, and eagle rods... another good thing to go with also is a stud kit for ur head... less stretch than the stock headbolts, and they r reusable... deffentaly a good investment for about 130 dollars...

just an fyi, u can get a manifold to fit the stock bottom end for about 200 online... good investment if u ask me... i ran that manifold and a t3t4 57trim turbo.. alittle laggy but i like it better because of traction.... i also have a built head to. no valve float, big port and polish, and also a bigger cam, and vavles and springs.... i would say from experince that if u do build ur own kit,.... WORRY ABOUT FUEL!!!!! that is the most improtant thing in a turbo setup... i am now running ms on my car, hoping to get alot better tune out of it when i finally gets put back together.... any other questions feel free to ask....

Quick Reply: Turbo ?'s