2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Strut and spring install

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Caraudioholic24
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut and spring install

Hey everyone. Im working on getting my tokico blue struts and Eibach lowerings springsinstalled in a couple of months. Now I doall my own work but have never attempted to do a strut spring setup before. Just a few questions before I start. Im getting everything from modern including the camber kit!!

- After I remove the assembly from the car will I need any parts from the factory stuff to install my other parts.
- Also I heard u need tocut out a hole in the foor in order for the new struts to fit. Is this true!!!!!!!

any help would be appreciated Im gonna check the how tos, Thanks everyone.

P.S. Im working on pics but just havent had time for crap lately. Be patient with me !!!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Strut and spring install

no you shouldn't need to cut anything, and you are gonna need spring compressors.... else you will reallly hurt yourself not to mention break more than you can afford on your car, ummm idk why you are gonna need the camber kit unless you are gonna be doin some serious racing and need that much camber adjustment (they do need cutting i think), and I thought they only worked with the BC coilovers...? if you want a real how-to buy yourself a Haynes Repair Manual, tells you how-to take everything apart and all that... I'll be doing the same thing as you soon too so no worries and keep us posted!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:48 PM
fox02neon
Rookie

Izero is right, buy the $8 book and look over it. I have done this a few times I don't recall cutting anything. Most imortant thing also stated go to shucks and ask to rent the spring compressor. It has a $50 damage charge on it, however when it is brought back it should cost about seven bucks. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Exubus
Champion

A lot of places willloan youthe spring compressor at full cost, then 100% refund when you bring it back... I think Murrays and Autozone did this for me a few times.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:22 PM
DouglasSXT
Veteran

One of my top mounts on the rear was squeaking really bad on the stock struts... I went ahead and replaced both front and rear strut topmounts when i did mine,just to be sure I'd have new parts going on the good struts. Hopefully I'll get a long run out of the struts.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Izero
Champion

yea its prolly a good idea to replace the tophats and all that good stuff just so ya don't run into any problems here and there

Old 06-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Dorin_82
Professional

i did it without a spring compressor. but i would only advise that if u really know what u are doing. which i guess u don't. u need the compressor to take off the OEM springs, they are higher and very compressed in that strutassembly, so to make sure u don't hurt yourself, but to put the new ones back, all i had to do to my pro-kit was ask a friend to push a little on the top mount just ehough to screw the top nut, and that was it. i didin't cut, drilled or modified anything, and u do need camber kits if u want your steering the way it should be. otherwise, your camber will be more or less off and your tires will wear faster and uneven. i have the same setup, tokicos blue and pro-kit, and i really really love them both, they work great together. first i only did the springs, but they killed the oem struts after three months, so i got the tokicos a month ago, and there's a huge diference. they both worth every penny. hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Izero
Champion

so you need the camber kits for the front only? or the rears too?

Old 06-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Dorin_82
Professional

i needed them front and rear. it wasn't that bad in the rear, but it was off so i played safe and got the rear also. but, when you gonna go get the aligment, first of all SEARS didin't wanna do it, cause they don't work with aftermarket parts that can affect your safety (they said), and then other mecanics wown't be to happy about it, but they'll do it, but they'll charge u more. i paid 125$ or 135$, i don't remember. and they might not get it right the first time, i wen't back 2 times. but, now it's fine, i also got new tires after that and i love it.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:06 PM
neon chic
Veteran

damn guess im lucky we have a couple shops here that dont mind doing them at all one of them specializes in alignments for lowered cars i only pay $68 after tax hell both shops even mess with cars with air bags no problem

Quick Reply: Strut and spring install