2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

what do you prefer

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 01:06 PM
FLC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you prefer

I have owned my 2003 sxt neon 5speed for the past 3 weeks. It currently has about 51XXX miles on it. After a oil change this weekend I will have a extra $500 to spend on my car. With this in mind, what would be the best performance part to begin with? Air filter by, K&N? PaceSetter Exhaust? or save for Borla Exhaust? Maybe I should upgrade the suspension with Progress Springs and KYB struts and change the tires/rims from the factory small spec tires? I just want to know what you guys would do with $500 to spend on a bone stock neon sxt. I have already done much research I just need to know what is best to do first and which part is best to go along with. Since all companies are going to say their part is the best, I just want to know personal experience with the parts above. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:17 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Default RE: what do you prefer

Well there isn't a single item that is going to make your car a lot faster, other then nitrous or a turbo. Its just a timely process to get these cars quicker. Depends on what you want out of it. For me when I started, I couldn't stand the horrid wheel gap so I lowered mine first. Wheels and tires would be a good upgrade, cold air intake, or the exhaust.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:50 PM
casper
Legend

If you want performance, you could probally sqeak out the intake and exhuast for $500. If its more looks, maybe an intake and an Eibach kit. They are all about $200 and some change.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:36 PM
y2neones
Veteran

Personally i think i would work on suspension and handling first... you cant go fast if you cant keep the car on the road. maybe some springs, sway bars, tires, strut bars... obviously you cant do all that with 500 bucks... but id start with something like that before getting quicker... just my opinion

Old 01-19-2005, 09:46 PM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: y2neones

Personally i think i would work on suspension and handling first... you cant go fast if you cant keep the car on the road. maybe some springs, sway bars, tires, strut bars... obviously you cant do all that with 500 bucks... but id start with something like that before getting quicker... just my opinion
Agreed, but with the stock set-up, an intake and exhuast is not gonna add that much hp that the stock suspension is not sufficient. Plus the car will sound mean.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:53 AM
y2neones
Veteran

yeah i totally agree with that, i was gonna add that but i felt like the post was long enough haha. im getting the pacesetter dual exhaust here in a few weeks once i get my income tax check, i would be doing more... but i gotta try to get my car paid off before i start school.... i hate have to do the "right thing" instead of dumping all of my money in my car

Old 02-09-2006, 11:48 AM
brbugsy

Would a Borla Dual Exhaust fit on a 2005 Neon? Would a rear sway bar interfere with the Borla Exhaust? I read that a magnaflow will not fit with a rear sway bar and wanted to make sure the same fate is not with the borla exhaust.

Quick Reply: what do you prefer