2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

any superchargers for neons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Swordfish2Cowboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: any superchargers for neons?

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

ORIGINAL: Captansavaho

wont the eaton m62 and m90 work??? i know there is a 1gen with that setup...should work the same no??
Sure, its possible with a lot of time, a lot of fabrication, and a lot of money.

There is however, no such thing as a "bolt-on" supercharger kit for a 2nd Gen Neon...

In our case, turbocharging is the best option.

On a wonderful side note...the original SRT-4 concept from 2002 WAS equipped with a 2.0L supercharged engine that produced around 200HP. However, no one ever found out any specifics on the entire setup...
QFT.

But yeah, there's simply not enough room in the engine bay to make it work unless you modify EVERYTHING.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Captansavaho
Captain

yes i know there is no bolt on but you could make one fit...the guy who put it on his 1gen has a SOHC...i will see if i can find the thread on it...it was pretty badassss

Old 06-19-2008, 03:05 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

this is the post, from what i understand it didnt last too long
https://dodgeforum.com/m_1142517/mpa...tm.htm#1142517

he removed most of the pics because he didnt want anyone else doing a similar setup.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Undesolved
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

ORIGINAL: Adionik

I am currently driving the prototype SC 2002 Dodge Neon. It was solar yellow and I am pushing 200whp @ 10000psi on my SC.
Heh it actually was solar yellow [8D]. But damn, 10000 PSI is pretty high, must be twin-supercharged or something.
come on RT, don't yah remmember his VTEC kicks in once he hits about 3k

Old 06-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Adionik
Champion

Did I ever tell you guys Kalevra wanted a detailed write up on my Vtec? Like I would give away a secret like that...psh

Old 06-20-2008, 08:22 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: Izero
so yea... why bother with a S/C anyways..... waste of freakin time on anything smaller than a 4.6L motor....
Eh, I'm gonna have to disagree here bud....

Superchargers and turbos both have positives and negatives, it all depends on what kind of performance you are trying to achieve. On a 4 cylinder motor, turbos are simply better IMO.

My V6 has a supercharger, and with minimal effort will see 300hp. 260hp/280ftlbs torque on my stock GTP.....5th Gen Eaton

Old 06-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

A supercharger on a neon is not going to reliably make the horsepower/torque a turbo can. Period. A supercharged is a belt driven system of forced induction certainly limiting its potential on a four cylinder engine. This doesn't make a supercharger complete junk for any car, but you will find that most superchargers setup are have less output numbers compared to turbo setups. The ability to adjust boost is greater/easier with a turbo. Would seem a chore to change a supercharger pulley at a stop light.

On a side note, there is a $3600 supercharger kit for a PT cruiser. Power gains were noted to be 226hp 244 lbs tq. We should also note that a complete srt engine (and more) can be hard for such a price. http://www.ptcruizer.com/superchargers.html

Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: Izero
so yea... why bother with a S/C anyways..... waste of freakin time on anything smaller than a 4.6L motor....
Eh, I'm gonna have to disagree here bud....

Superchargers and turbos both have positives and negatives, it all depends on what kind of performance you are trying to achieve. On a 4 cylinder motor, turbos are simply better IMO.

My V6 has a supercharger, and with minimal effort will see 300hp. 260hp/280ftlbs torque on my stock GTP.....5th Gen Eaton
I completely understand where you are comming from... let my just clarify what i was saying.... S/Cs are great for making that instant power but they also require that power already exists within the motor, in order to make their maximum power, on a 4 cylinder motor S/Cing is pretty useless b/c a 4 cylinder motor has a lot of trouble making enough power to begin with to fully utilize a S/C, also your V6 is a 3.8L that is almost twice the displacement of our lil engines, and it is also making roughly 195-210hp without the S/C (also just a sidenote if i recall correctly i thought they Eaton M90 s/c was used starting in 1997 which was the sixth gen., and the only other method of FI that was used on previous years was a garret T-25 turbocharger w/ intercooler which was in '89 and '90 and got 205hp/225tq out of a 3.1L V6, correct me if i am wrong though...), the motor made enough power to drive that S/C to its potential... but it still only made 260hp/280tq now just imagine if they put the garret T-25 turbo setup on the 3.8L V6... it would most certainly make 280-300hp/260-280tq... and those are just estimates, But i do agree with you that i was a bit hasty in my comment about anything less than 4.6L motor, b/c the 3.8L's most certainly hold their own ..... overall I'd take a turbo setup over a S/C anyday just b/c turbo's are less parasitic and turbos just make more power in the end and if you look at it cost for cost... the S/C always run you like $2000 vs. a $500 turbo that has the same a/f rating and compressor size... its nutz...

Old 06-20-2008, 03:34 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Ultimately, I think the whole SC vs. Turbo issue is resolved simply by the type of engine you run.......and again, the type of racing/performance you are trying to get out of it as well...

They were using the Garrett's on the previous 3.8L Grand Nationals, so that's back in the 80's as well....and the power on that car was seriously underrated.

As for Turbos being better then Superchargers, I'll disagree...simply because you have to take into account the lag of a turbo vs. instant power from a SC... I'd say they are pretty evenly matched if the setup is done right...

Old 06-20-2008, 05:44 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

As for Turbos being better then Superchargers, I'll disagree...simply because you have to take into account the lag of a turbo vs. instant power from a SC... I'd say they are pretty evenly matched if the setup is done right...
just remember devils, it takes power to make power out of a SC... once again positive and negitives of both come into effect..... just put one of each on ur car and end all the discussion, hahahhahhahaha

Quick Reply: any superchargers for neons?