Ford coming out with Speed and Stereo Volume Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:12 PM
technical18
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford coming out with Speed and Stereo Volume Limiter

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27053080/?GT1=43001

DETROIT - So you think junior is a little too lead-footed when he drives the family car? Starting next year, Ford Motor Co. will give you the power to do something about it.

The company will roll out a new feature on many 2010 models that can limit teen drivers to 80 mph, using a computer chip in the key.

Parents also have the option of programming the teen's key to limit the audio system's volume, and to sound continuous alerts if the driver doesn't wear a seat belt.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

"Our message to parents is, hey, we are providing you some conditions to give your new drivers that may allow you to feel a little more comfortable in giving them the car more often," said Jim Buczkowski, Ford's director of electronic and electrical systems engineering.

The feature, called "MyKey," will be standard on an unspecified number of Ford models when the 2010 cars and trucks come out late next summer. The feature will spread to the entire Ford, Lincoln and Mercury lineup as models are updated, spokesman Wes Sherwood said.

Ford arrived at the 80 mph limit even though freeway speed limits are lower in most states because it wanted to leave a margin in case an unusual situation arises, Buczkowski said. In some states, freeway speed limits are above 70 mph, Sherwood said.

"Just lopping it off at exactly 70 mph was felt to be too limiting," Buczkowski said.

The Toyota Prius changed the market — and automakers are responding.
The company already uses computer chips in its keys to prevent thefts. The car won't start unless it recognizes the chip in the key.

"It's making use of existing technology, and through the magic of software, we're able to build features on top of the features we already have," Buczkowski said.

In addition to speed limits, MyKey also will limit the volume of the audio system, and it will sound a six-second chime every minute if seat belts are not fastened. The chime sounds for adult drivers, too, but ends after five minutes to avoid annoying adults who adamantly don't want to wear seat belts, Buczkowski said.

Parents also have the option of having the car sound a chime if the teen exceeds 45, 55 or 65 mph.

The feature will debut on the 2010 Focus compact car and quickly move to other company models as a standard feature, the company said.

Ford said its market research shows 75 percent of parents like the speed and audio limits, but as you might expect, 67 percent of teens don't like them.

Danisha Williams, a 16-year-old senior at Southfield-Lathrup High School in suburban Detroit, said she's against the idea.

"I wouldn't want my parents to have that much control over how I'm driving," she said. "If your parents are holding your hand, you're never going to learn."

Brittany Hawthorne, 17, another Southfield-Lathrup senior, said there may be emergency situations where she'd have to drive more than 80, possibly to accelerate to avoid a crash.

Ford's research shows that parents would be more likely to let teens use their vehicles with the system, Sherwood said, and if it gets them the car more often, the number of teens objecting drops by nearly half.

A top official from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a research group funded by the auto insurance industry that is pushing to raise the minimum driving age to 17 or 18, found the key intriguing and said she was not aware of any other manufacturer offering such a feature. IIHS says car crashes are the leading cause of death among teenagers.

"Research we've done has shown that speeding is a major factor in teen crashes, especially novice teen drivers," said Anne McCartt, the institute's senior vice president for research. "So I think a system that tries to correct the speeding behavior has the potential to improve safety."

Old 10-06-2008, 06:13 PM
technical18
Professional

What do yall think of this?

yeah i know its Ford but its bound to spread to other companies..

Old 10-06-2008, 06:32 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Nice. I think its good idea if the parent thinks their kid needs to be controlled. Well, if kids can't respect the vehicle and others on the road then I don't think its a big deal to limit them. Younger drivers will have no reason to complain about being limited. There is NO REASON at all to go over 80 anywhere. Not even to avoid a crash. Chances are if you need to accelerate over 80 to avoid a crash, chances are you are the one causing it. The reason I think younger drivers get into so many accidents and get so many tickets is there is no accountability. And obviously in many cases the teen is just too inexperienced, in which case it should be the parents responsibility to recognize their kid shouldn't be behind the wheel alone. Because lets be realistic, driving tests aren't all that tough to pass. Most parents just get let their kid off the hook if they make a mistake. They don't have to pay the higher insurance or pay to repair the vehicle if they get in accident. If I go out and get in an accident or get a speeding ticket that **** is going to cost me and probably cost me a lot. Mommy and daddy don't pay for anything on my car or insurance for it either. If parents made their kid work and pay for gas, maybe pay for part of insurance every month they might have more respect for the vehicle and law. But when parents just give their kid a 25,000 car and pay for everything of course the kid is going to go ***** to the wall with it.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the kids don't like it, they should get a damn job and buy their f'n own car then. If there is a speeding issue, etc., this will fix it then and there; i.e.- street racing in mommy or daddy's car or just chronic speeding and causing danger.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:44 PM
technical18
Professional

i could also see Insurance companies lowering costs on vehicles with the feature...another plus

Old 10-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

Interstate speeds in new mexico are 75. 70mph would create TONS of freeway accidents here.

I hate the idea personally.

1.) If he can't drive responsibly he/she shouldn't be driving in the first place and deserve the tickets.
- Some people on this will say speed kills. It is not speed... it is the sudden stop you come to when you crash that does. If you can't teach your kid to drive responsibly, he honestly doesn't deserve to either: a.) have his own vehicle b.) drive a vehicle c.) be trusted with a motorized vehicle. Hell, one good way to squelch that "speed" urge is to become active with your child. You know... autocross, take him to the strip. Bond together and legally chase your passion for speed.
2.) Music never hurt anybody. Limiting volume on stereo's is ludicrous. I grew out of that stage a long a** time ago... because I COULD listen to it too loud.

Honestly.. to me, it is another stupid thing to hinder how much we trust and allow our youth to advance in society. It's called trust. If it isn't there, then they shouldn't be driving!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 PM
mjs182004
Veteran

thats a good idea, but what happens when the kids figure this out and swap keys with their parents without them knowing? it's a possibility.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:59 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Freerider
Interstate speeds in new mexico are 75. 70mph would create TONS of freeway accidents here.

I hate the idea personally.

1.) If he can't drive responsibly he/she shouldn't be driving in the first place and deserve the tickets.
- Some people on this will say speed kills. It is not speed... it is the sudden stop you come to when you crash that does. If you can't teach your kid to drive responsibly, he honestly doesn't deserve to either: a.) have his own vehicle b.) drive a vehicle c.) be trusted with a motorized vehicle. Hell, one good way to squelch that "speed" urge is to become active with your child. You know... autocross, take him to the strip. Bond together and legally chase your passion for speed.
2.) Music never hurt anybody. Limiting volume on stereo's is ludicrous. I grew out of that stage a long a** time ago... because I COULD listen to it too loud.

Honestly.. to me, it is another stupid thing to hinder how much we trust and allow our youth to advance in society. It's called trust. If it isn't there, then they shouldn't be driving!
If everyone is driving responsibly, why would 5mph under the LIMIT (i.e.- the fastest you are legally allowed to/supposed to go, not the minimum) cause "TONS" of accidents? Because everyone else is speeding to get around them? That is ridiculous. If a kid keeps getting tickets and doesn't stop the poor behavior, what else is there to stop them? Granted, most probably don't need this ever, but there are those that do and will.

That sudden stop you speak of generally tends to be more fatal the faster you are going because of the greater force involved so speed IS directly related to it. Also, not all accidents are driver error or lack of responsibility, what then? Tire blow out at 80 instead of 55? Wheel coming off while driving because someone didn't tighten the lug nuts? Something breaking while driving causing an accident?

The music issue- I agree with you. I don't understand the idea behind that...

Old 10-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's a very good idea. Now that I'm older. I would have hated it when I was a teen.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:30 AM
02sxtsilver

i can see the logic in ford thinking with limiting the max speed. however its only going to be a matter of time until that teen driver figures out that they can drive at like 78-79mph and the limiter wont kick in. also how would the parents know if their teen keeps setting off the speed limiter?

Quick Reply: Ford coming out with Speed and Stereo Volume Limiter