2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Control Arm replacement - I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:36 AM
thatcmhguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Control Arm replacement - I need help!

Hi,

I have a 2005 Neon SXT with the SRT4 design package. (Orange Blast in Color and of course a 5 speed!)

I found that I need to replace the Control Arm Bushings and the right Tie Rod.

NTB estimated with an alignment, the cost is about $800 to do the job~!

I just purchased red Energy Perfomance Bushings online ($26+$7 shipping), and found the installation instructions from Energy Performance on how to change out the bushings, however I am wondering if I need to remove the struts before removing the control arms? Do I need to remove the rotor/brakes?

Help!

Last edited by thatcmhguy; 11-19-2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old 11-19-2008, 02:18 PM
mannyfresh18
Veteran

oh man i remember back in july when i had to replace mine yep yep i smashed my finger then had to get surgery on it.lol.

but yeah you will have to remove your comeplete struts. then its pretty much easy from their on. like the left side is way easier/faster to do in my opinion since u dont have to mess with a motor mount on that side. but rite side u gott take the motor mount off to get to a bolt.

but if you have any other questions ask away.

im guessing you have never done this being the bushings as i hadnt either when i did it but its a bi.ch to remove the bushings so you might want to go to ur local napa or car quest store and they can do it if they have a machine shop. thats what i did when i replaced mine and the dude only charged me like $20 total to remove and add the new bushing.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:20 PM
mannyfresh18
Veteran

when i was talking about taking it to the store i meant like the entire control arm once u take it out.

just to clarryfy it up some.

and plz dont take it to a shop to get done yeah i know taht $800 thats what they was goiong to charge me and once u do it the first time u see that its really not hard at all.

oh yeah and no u dont have to mess with the rotors or anything like that.
last but not least take it rite away to an allignment shop as it will be really messed up.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:31 AM
thatcmhguy
Unhappy Removing the struts?

A mechanic friend is telling me that I should not attempt this repair/replacement at all. He said strut/spring compression can be a killer. So I really dont want to perish due to a reckless spring malfunction or compression malfunction.

Even tho I ordered the bushings from an online retailer, I am rethinking this self-repair. I'm considering going to the repair shop and paying the $800 for the repair.

I am uber concerned about this spring compression tool, and the even mere mention of this motor mount issue on the right side. Why can't this be simplier?

That's why I am looking for solid resources that say how to do the job from start to finish.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:13 PM
mannyfresh18
Veteran

Originally Posted by thatcmhguy
A mechanic friend is telling me that I should not attempt this repair/replacement at all. He said strut/spring compression can be a killer. So I really dont want to perish due to a reckless spring malfunction or compression malfunction.

Even tho I ordered the bushings from an online retailer, I am rethinking this self-repair. I'm considering going to the repair shop and paying the $800 for the repair.

I am uber concerned about this spring compression tool, and the even mere mention of this motor mount issue on the right side. Why can't this be simplier?

That's why I am looking for solid resources that say how to do the job from start to finish.
all i can say is if you want to pay the $800 you can but in reality its a ripoff.
if it wasnt winter rite now man id help you do it for like $100.
but its your choice. just research some more and then decide for your self what would be worth doing.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:20 AM
calligan

I had my control arm replaced. 60 for the part, 80 for labor and 80 for the alignment at sears.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:37 AM
mannyfresh18
Veteran

Originally Posted by calligan
I had my control arm replaced. 60 for the part, 80 for labor and 80 for the alignment at sears.
wow seriously??

cause that seems kinda fake as i got quotes around $500 and up.

Quick Reply: Control Arm replacement - I need help!