2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

what type of engine coolant.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:00 PM
mannyfresh18
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool what type of engine coolant.

so heres the deal im having trouble with my engine coolant.Meaning i check the bottle ever few days to see if its at the correct level.well last friday i noticed it needed some coolant so i added some ( yellow tub i think its Prestone mix with all colors ) to where it says add here. well just a few minutes ago i checked it again cause i was checking my spark plugs but now its below the add sign and its below the mark that says made in canada.

so to get to the point there is no signs what so ever of it leaking anywhere and the car runs perfect. should i try some other type of engine coolant or what can be the problem with the car ?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:21 PM
mjs182004
Veteran

that is your overflow bottle. if it is low does not necessarily mean the coolant is low. and Chrysler uses their own special formula of coolant, which is actually a hybrid, that is cross between ethylene glycol based coolant(green) and the organic acid technology (orange) coolant, commonly known by the brand name Dex-cool. It is identifiable by it's distinct red color. Some may confuse this with the orange Dex-cool, but it is not the same thing, and should not be mixed. In other words Chrysler coolant is unique, and you should only use coolant specifically made for Chrysler vehicles.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:34 PM
KARR
Record Breaker

**** Im using Prestone. I had that same coolant in mines before my clamp broke and I lost all of it back in Aug. Oh well Prestone works fine in my car.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:49 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine has the green ethylene in it. Works really good, according to the temperature gauge which never gets above the first mark above cold. I suppose if you are out of warranty, it doesn't really matter.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:37 AM
KARR
Record Breaker

My Warranty has been long gone.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:38 PM
mcfisher1980
Veteran

mjs182004 is correct about the coolant. chrysler has their own brand which is recommened. Dex-Cool works just as well. so the decision is up to the driver. just dont mix the two together. next time you pick up a coolant bottle, look for these two numbers on the back lable. DaimlerChrylser MS-7170, MS-9679. In other words, its just stating that its compatible for the chrysler aluminum radiators due to the fact of the anti corrosion agents in the coolant.

Quick Reply: what type of engine coolant.