2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Oil Pressure Warning Light

Old 01-14-2009, 02:34 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lilreddakota
was wondering if you changed sensor yet and why you think you will loose your oil changing the oil pressure sensor unless the engine is running when you do it. its not in the oil pan is it? that would be a oil level sensor,do neons have oil level sensors?I am having the same problem with mine minus the oil leak. oil light stays on when started,turn off key and turn back on light is out with engine off ,light off w/no oil pressure? WTF, restart engine and light stays off. also running 5w30 as always with 136,000 miles
No as I haven't even broke 3,000 miles on this oil yet, let alone the 5,000 I will be changing it at. Hard to rack up that mileage without a working transmission. As for why I think the oil may leak out? Not sure, just don't want to waste any oil just in case I suppose. Not a big priority, I know I have pressure otherwise my engine would have been gone some time ago.

Originally Posted by Izero
its prolly just a faulty sensor... and you might need a special socket... I know i needed one for mine when i took it off to install the oil pressure gauge sensor... biggest PITA ever btw... remember NOT to over tighten it when you put it in, also change it when the car is COLD... less oil will come out when ur taking it out... if you are worried about it leaking again then use something called Pipe Dope on the threads just be careful NOT to get any INSIDE the sensor as that could cause clogging or motor issues that no one wants to ever deal with... but yea thats my $.02 good luck :-D

side note: what brand oil are you using? also you should see if you can check how much oil pressure you have at start-up it should be between 30-50 PSI.... if its under 30 you might have a bad oil pump....
I didn't buy a "special" socket for it, though I know they exist. I bought a...a.....just looking around now, I have no idea where the sensor or socket is, but I took the new sensor and matched it up to a deep socket that was a bit bigger than an inch. Exact size and it goes over the plastic plug part too. Was something like $7 for the socket.

Originally Posted by mannyfresh18
anyone know how much the sensor is?

i have this same problem in winter times.

so by reading trough the responses i think ill change my sensor.
It was a bit under $20 from Dodge.

Originally Posted by mjs182004
also for s**ts and giggles, check the oil level.
Who, lol? Mine is good.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:10 PM
mannyfresh18
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol my oil is fresh too.

and thanks i might get me that sensor.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 PM
N3ON
Captain

you know whats funny is if i make a hard turn my oil light will come on...i have new tires but dam.lol i think ill add a quart.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:42 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Found the socket, 1 1/16"

Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 AM
neonftw87
Professional

any time the oil light came up on me, it was cause i was running low on oil, like if i turned a curve and such it would flash.. the sensor could be the problem, but you also could still have a leak somewhere shooting out oil but only while your engine is running.... you wont smoke like you would if you blew a head gasket, but check under the unibody of your car and see if you have oil on the underside of your car... but if your oil level is up to par, most likely it is the sensor.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 AM
lilreddakota
Rookie

my oil light issue only happens on start up,no other time. thinking its a bad sensor or just bad connection. usually does it when i leave work in afternoon, could be hot,warm,cold temp doesn't matter. its just random,might do it 3 days in a row, might not do it for a week or more, seems to be doing it less lately,also have had coldest January in 32 yrs,maybe the cold tightened thing up at the connector

Old 01-28-2009, 01:08 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

BTW, I replaced the sensor when I finished re-installing the transaxle the first time. It was pretty cold out, but no light came on, yay! I am pretty sure I am way low on oil too as a lot of it leaked out everywhere from the sensor again.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:20 AM
neonftw87
Professional

yeah just make sure your oil level is up, and theres no leaks, on my first gen i was leakin oil from the real seal, i never smoked tho, but i had oil all over the under of my car, and the only way i noticed i was leakin is my oil light would come on, and then i would figure out im low on oil. gl on this

Old 02-04-2009, 12:21 AM
neonftw87
Professional

*rear seal*

Old 02-04-2009, 02:38 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Finished putting it all back together again last night, and I checked the oil. I was 1/2 qt. low, but haven't seen the stupid light since installing the new one! I have a picture comparing the old one to the new one on my camera. The old one had absolutely no sealant on the threads at all and looked pretty tore up. Now to burn off all of the oil that leaked everywhere, woo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Warning Light