2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Blue Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 11:38 AM
one_disturbed_person
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Smoke

Recently I noticed that when I start my 01 Neon that there is blue smoke coming out of the exhaust for about the first 30 seconds to 1 minute after starting. I was thinking that I may end up having to replace some piston rings. My dad told me that it could be my CAI. He said something about it my be just burning too much fuel at start up. I have had the evap codes come up with my CEL. Here are the codes that I remember coming up.

Codes:
p1684
p0456
p0455
p0442

I haven't had the money to get the evap leak fixed. I tried replacing the fuel cap but it did no good. I use Valvoline 10w-30 high mileage synthetic blend oil, changed every 3000 miles along with a fresh new K&N oil filter.

Any thoughts of what it may be?? Maybe I should try a Short ram intake? My CAI is just a cheap intake from ebay.

Daniel

Last edited by one_disturbed_person; 12-25-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:45 AM
N3ON
Captain

i wouldn't even think of an cai...hmmm well its definitally oil.and its oly burning 1 min after you start it then it quits?

your problem would be your rings or an oil leak in one of your pistons.if you pull out you spark plug wires there will be oil on one of them not the rusty dirt cause thats normal.but if you do need new rings then it wont be outrageous to fix.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:53 AM
one_disturbed_person
Rookie

So how much are we looking at price wise and how hard are they to replace? I have the 2001 neon shop manual made by Daimler Chrysler. Maybe that will shed some light on the replacement of piston rings. I hope it isn't too hard to fix because no one in my family will help me fix it because they claim that:
1. It is a neon, its not worth fixing and
2. It is a front wheel drive vehicle, too hard to even try to fix it.

I am always afraid I will mess something up. This is the first car I have ever cared about working on, and I know nothing hardly about vehicles. I am learning though!! Is this something I can do myself or is it best I just take it to Dodge?

Daniel

Old 12-25-2008, 12:02 PM
N3ON
Captain

lol buddy you need to do like everyone else and dive right into this car.once you have everything important fixed you can start doing fun stuff.

the rings like i said wont kill you but you can find them cheaper somewhere else
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...4506.m20.l1116

i just gave you a base range.now i've never changed my rings(yet) but the manual should give a good description.it will give you the most detailled one anyways

Old 12-25-2008, 12:08 PM
one_disturbed_person
Rookie

Okay so my dad just told me that if I have to replace the piston rings then I have to completely rebuild the motor, both top and bottom. Is this true? Is it really worth this? I love my neon, but it is only a $3,000 that is gonna cost me more than that to fix. How long can I go with needing new rings? I work at a pet store so I don't have an abundance of money.

Daniel

Old 12-25-2008, 12:11 PM
one_disturbed_person
Rookie

Could it be that a valve is stuck open? My dad told me to ask if it has a valve guide seal.

Daniel

Old 12-25-2008, 12:14 PM
N3ON
Captain

i dont think it does

Old 12-25-2008, 12:16 PM
N3ON
Captain

i think if you save a few checks and take it to a garage it wont be that much.i know the rings are just a bit hard to change but you'll get more answers when people get on here.and your fine driving it like that too

Old 12-25-2008, 12:20 PM
N3ON
Captain

also dude you dont have to rebuild the engine.all it is, is rings.people have changed just the rings before. i think older cars had to replace alot more when rings went bad but were fine.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:43 PM
one_disturbed_person
Rookie

Alright. When my dad and I went out to wash it I popped the hood to check all of my fluid levels. They were all fine. He then showed me how to remove the spark plugs. There is no sign of burning oil, but they did smell heavily of gasoline. He said that chances are that I am burning too much fuel due to the intake. He suggested that I go back to the factory intake. So what do you think? Just let it burn too much oil, replace my valve seals, or replace my piston rings/rebuild motor? I also looked in the factory shop manual, there is valve stem seals.

Daniel

Quick Reply: Blue Smoke