2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Fuel Injector Cleaning...Now Hard Starts??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:03 PM
pcman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Cleaning...Now Hard Starts??

Just removed my injecors and sent them off and had them cleaned (ultrasonic). Put them back in and started the car, I knew it would be hard starting the first time like bleeding diesel injectors, but after that when I go to start it in the mornings etc. it often times takes many attempts before it finally is running. Before I had the injectors cleaned everything was working fine with the starting. I was wondering about the fuel rail if air might possibly still be trapped in it? My fuel rail does not have the valve on the drivers side end. Also during shutdown should there still be a great deal of fuel pressure on the supply line from the pump, because when I disconnect it after shutdown there is no pressure release sound. Also when I removed the injectors for cleaning, I followed the pressure relief procedure as described in the Hayes repair manual, it involved removing the fuel pump relay and then starting the car, would this cause any damage to the fuel pump?

Thanks for all help.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
pcman
Amateur

I am still having troubles starting my neon sometimes. Lately I have been turning the key to the on position letting it sit like 5 seconds and turning it to the off position and repeating this two times and then trying to start. Sometimes it will start up fine, others it struggles and can only be started while pressing the gas pedal a little. Any ideas as to what might be going oout?

thanks

Old 01-22-2009, 10:44 PM
mcfisher1980
Veteran

you shouldnt have to press on the peddle, its fuel injected. the fuel pump is going to prime the moment you turn the key over. sounds like your having pressure issues. your pressure should be at or around 58 psi give or take a few pounds. i would suggest taking it somewhere and getting it tested

Last edited by mcfisher1980; 01-22-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-23-2009, 04:07 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All fuel rails should have a relief valve somewhere on them...

Old 01-23-2009, 04:41 PM
NeonOn19s
Captain

it is at the end of the rail on the OEM... but I would deff get it checked.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:55 PM
pcman
Amateur

My fuel rail does not have the valve on the end of it. It is just capped off, and not the metal removable cap. If it makes any difference the car was made 8-04. Would their be any way to test the pressure since it does not have the valve?

thanks

Old 01-23-2009, 06:06 PM
pcman
Amateur

I know that a certain ammount of pressure (approx 58psi) should be on the system when running, how about when the car is turned off? I believe that someone told me that the fuel pump assembly has a check valve of some type to keep pressure up on the system leading up to the injectors. Is this true and is it possible it could go bad?

thanks

Old 01-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read somewhere that sonic cleaning isn't recommended for our injector b/c it has negative effects on the atomization capabilities of the injectors thus rendering them useless... I'm trying to find the thread I read... no luck so far... personally I'd go out and get myself a new set of injectors and then I'd put the new ones in and see if that fixes the problem...

Old 01-24-2009, 02:45 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pcman
My fuel rail does not have the valve on the end of it. It is just capped off, and not the metal removable cap. If it makes any difference the car was made 8-04. Would their be any way to test the pressure since it does not have the valve?

thanks
From the Dodge Service Manual:

STANDARD PROCEDURE - FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE RELEASE PROCEDURE
(1) Remove Fuel Pump relay from Power Distribution Center (PDC). For location of relay, refer to label on underside of PDC cover.
(2) Start and run engine until it stalls.
(3) Attempt restarting engine until it will no longer run.
(4) Turn ignition key to OFF position.
(5) Return fuel pump relay to PDC.
(6) One or more Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s) may have been stored in PCM memory due to fuel pump relay removal. The DRB IIIt scan tool must be used to erase a DTC.

Last edited by darthroush; 01-24-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:04 AM
pcman
Amateur

I followed those steps when I remove the injectors and had them cleaned the first time. The man I paid to clean the injectors wanted me to send them back since I was having trouble with the car starting, so the second time I just removed the fuel line and fuel did not spray everywhere, I just caught a small amount of fuel on a rag.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaning...Now Hard Starts??