2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 AM
primedNe0N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice please

alright wqell i got a 2000 dodge neon se and ive been wanting to turbo charge it. but knowing its a sohc engine i was wondering if i should maybe swap to the 2.0 dohc from the 1st gen neon??? i dont want to waste that much money at the moment thats why i havent thought about the 2.4 engine yet? would that be a good decision or should i just wait? n its an automatic :/ thaqnks

Old 01-22-2009, 01:03 AM
smallblockfreak
All Star

well stock low end can only handle 8 psi safely. I know of someone selling a kit to turn your sohc into a dohc if you wanted to go cheaper. Plus switching to a manual would be better in the short run until you if possible create a very nice amount of torque and hp then you would want to go to an auto because you'd be shifting into another gear longer than your in one. The only thing i don't know about is how strong you can make the automatic. If you could get the automatic to easily hold 600 hp i'd build it for sure and tune the engine. If your only looking to moderatly gain hp i'd just swap to the manual and call it good.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:22 AM
primedNe0N

did u do the dohc swap or still got the sohc ???

Old 01-22-2009, 01:31 AM
smallblockfreak
All Star

i still have the sohc i haven't swaped. Truthfully i am happy with the sohc to get me around right now. In the future i plan on tube chassis the car with four link rear shortnend rear end with nice fat tires with a 360 stroked to a 408 with a 727 trans. I am planning on this cuz no one else has with a 2gn and only ever seen one 1gen. I strive to be different. Call me crazy for wanting to drop a v8 in it but i'm a small block lover and always will be.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:01 AM
primedNe0N

haha damn thats pretty crazy man! do u know where i would be able to find the transmission. peda.l etc

Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

I like the sohc myself.... but i like to keep things simple, plus in ny it is a bitch to get things to pass inspection.... i am boosted and like the fact that i am only sohc.... plus i think they r easier to deal with (timing mainly) but that is just me and i am kinda partial to my sohc... lol

Old 01-27-2009, 01:14 AM
Moparmatt440
Veteran

You can swap to a dual, just get one out of a junk yard have it checked out, but you will need to get a different intake manifold, Indy sells one for $500 bucks, I would just stick to the SOHC. And I agree that you can only go with 8psi on the bottom ends. And if you want to stay with an auto then check out Darrell *** Racing they have a 3 speed that can handel anything you can put at it, its the same one that they use in their red sled, www. dcrsrt.com is the site

Old 01-28-2009, 03:39 AM
neonftw87
Professional

screw a auto bro, go ahead and swap to 5speed... thats the only way to go, you will get off the line faster, you can push your engine to the redline before you shift when an auto controls that itself, not to mention when just daily driving you still control the rpms getting better gas milage and on top of that, they are just fun to drive...

IF you decide to do this, make sure you get a 2gn tranny, the second gear is alot taller in this tranny than it is in the 1gn whcih helps me alot when it comes to 45 rolls, and dead stop drag racing... i dont remember what my 1gn could get to in second.. but i now my 2gn neon can get to 60-65 before the rev limiter kicks....

now with the turbo part... i dont know anything about, i was hoping to find something out myself on reading your post cause i too have a 2000 SOHC SE.. so im sorry i cant help you there.

Now i do still have the tranny to my 1gn neon if you want it, ill sell it to you for cheap, it dont have the bellhousing, but if you cant find a 2gn tranny i got one to help you out. sadly i crushed the car cause i wrapped it around a tree, so i dont have the pedals or the shifter or anything... but if you decide to do the swap, do everything you can to find a 2gn tranny, you would rather have the 2gn.. i promise.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:25 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

well after he swaps the tranny to a five speed, that is a expesive swap, ranther than just upgrading the auto, i dont think he want to go kick alot of *** with the car, jsut make it alittle quicker, and there is nothing wrong with that... auto with a shift kit in it is a good set up for a dd....

just remember boost takes it toll on internals of an engine... and it will pop faster under boost than running it stock, just fyi

Old 02-04-2009, 12:16 AM
neonftw87
Professional

yep true story

Quick Reply: Advice please