Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:34 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Transmission Problem

In regards to my original thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...smissions.html

Original Pump pulled from transmission:

Used pump I bought and put in:

Two observations that may be important. First, as you can see, the gears are different. Second, at about the 9 O'clock position on the original pump, there is a single small opening just below the bolt hole. On the one I bought, at about the 1 O'clock position, you can see it is a longer opening.

Anyways, on with the problem. Got everything back together tonight. Flushed the transmission a little bit by running fluid out of the cooler return line. Pump some out and add fluid till full again and repeat. After that, I hooked everything else up and ran the car. Got the fluid to the right level. Now the interesting part.

I have reverse. Works fine as far as I can tell. No forward gears though. In Park, Neutral, Drive, Second, and First, the car will rev up to about, IDK, 2500? RPM (it won't hit the rev limiter) and the flatten out like something is holding the engine back. Put it in a forward gear and step on the gas, engine revs up like I just described and the tires won't move at all. I can leave it in any forward gear or neutral with no parking brake and try to push the car forward; it will rock about an inch or two forward and the back and not move. I am just completely stumped here and really, really need to have the car going again by Monday but would really love to have the car going again tomorrow!

What could be the problem?

Please, anyone, help!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:03 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

To the top...

Old 01-26-2009, 01:36 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Took my scan tool and hooked it up this morning. Misfire monitor, fuel system monitor, and comprehensive component monitor tests are all reporting that they have run. The catalyst monitor, evaporative system monitor, and oxygen sensor monitor are reporting that they have not run. I have a "pending" DTC, but can't get it until these systems all report as run. Any ideas to what may cause that?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:53 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Found out what the deal is with the systems not reporting.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:14 PM
mcfisher1980
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol sorry. lack of internet over here for a few days. what did you figure out the problem what or did you forget to plug something back in. it happens to the best of us.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm going to take it back apart, ugh, this weekend probably. Don't know what I could have forgot to plug back in that would make it do this!? Everything as far as I know got plugged back in.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:33 AM
mcfisher1980
Veteran

i dunno dude, just trying to cover every ground. i cant understand why all those are "pending". hopefully once you get it back off, youll find the problem

Old 01-28-2009, 03:50 AM
neonftw87
Professional

i know nothing at all about auto trannys... but the fact it wont move when pushed in nuetral sounds like something inside the tranny is locking up... you never know tho, they may have done something in the computer to cause it to lock up... sure it aint........rust?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Not sure who "they" is, but there is no rust anywhere. I'm leaning towards the torque converter that is evidently out of a 2002 Neon, so apparently I'm not the first to have issues with this transmission. Anyone know how freely it should move when spinning it by hand? It didn't really want to move without using some force to turn it...

Old 02-01-2009, 03:53 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Took everything back apart yesterday, and put it back together with the torque converter checked after every move to make sure it was spinning freely. After some small hang-ups, everything seems to work as it should except neutral. Neutral at this time is another reverse gear for some reason. Still have to finish putting the front suspension back together, but it should be at least drivable.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem