2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

srt-4 brakes and timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 01:08 PM
mcfisher1980
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the mechanical tensioner is mounted to a spider bracket and that is then mounted to the block. if you have the 3 holes for that bracket, then it will work. but im pretty positive that theres only one hole there

Old 02-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Dorin_82
Professional

k. i guess i'll be the guinea pig and find out.... since nobody seems to know for sure. i'll update this post when i'll get it done.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Dorin_82
Professional

ok, it's been a while since this post, did all the above along time ago, so i'm posting so maybe somebody can use my info.
there's no problem adapting srt ss brake lines to a regular neon. they went on perfect, i've been using them for 10 months now, and not only they make a difference, but the whole setup is fuc.ing amazing. i have great brakes. have the EBC rotors dimpled and sloted with the EBC red stuff on the front, and regular srt rotors with hawks brake pads(EBC doesn't make anything for the rear) in the rear. it's totally worth it.
as for the timing belt, yes, you can swap the 01 hydraulic tensioner with the 03-05 mechanical one. i did it, but then i went back to the hydraulic because, i put on the blue performance timing belt from Gates, which is a bit wider, and when i started the engine it was making a weird noise that i didn't like, i thought it was because of the tensioner so i swaped it back. well, at that time the noise was gone with the hydraulic tensioner, however, after a while it came back, not so bad thou, which makes me belive it's actually coming from the belt itself. so, if i'd use a regular belt, i'd definitely swap to the mechanical 1, it's cheaper and does the same job.
as for the water pump, i went with GMB (as far as i remember), and 15k later i'm not afraid to rev it when i need to, and everything works great(except for that noise from the timing belt, which is not loud at all and i don't mind it, it's just there).
if any questions, i'll be happy to assist if possible

Quick Reply: srt-4 brakes and timing belt