2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

HELP: electrical issues: no radio, no interior lights!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Michelangelo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: electrical issues: no radio, no interior lights!

This is an interesting one which started this evening when I started my 00 Plymouth Neon 4 cylinder and found my guage cluster lights not working. I figured my rear running lights weren't working either as it was night time and I was correct. So I messed around with the fuses on the driver's side door area and couldn't find any that were burned out. So I took off home with the hazards flashing to at least get me through the night drive. The words "FUSE" flashed across my LED information/trip meter, odometer area for a few seconds as well but it disappeared soon after.

About 5 mins into my drive my guage cluster lights came on and of course the rear running lights. A second later my radio power, lights and all went off, including the interior dome light!! I drove an hour home in the dark without radio or interior dome lights.

So now I have no radio or dome lights. All the fuses I checked were good. The only fuse that I couldn't check but didn't say Radio or Dome was a big silver capped one at the top of the fuse panel that reads 25amps 12V.

So if all my fuses except that one appear good, what's my problem!? I can't afford to get stranded again.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:54 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

well i would say u have some sort of short going to the fuse box...

Old 02-11-2009, 12:20 PM
KARR
Record Breaker

Yeah sounds like a short. Have you messed with your electrical system in any way?

Old 02-28-2009, 02:18 PM
stocker505

I just had this same issue 2 days ago. First check the fuse with the yellow holder on the power dist center (engine fuse block). It's kina tricky to pull out and reset. To change the fuse you have to undo the clasp which flips outboard to inboard (if that make any sense.).
After I cycled this fuse my radio started to work but no interior lights (check trunk light also). The issue on my car was where the factory wiring was spliced from one to two wires (ie power splits to go to trunk light and dome light). It was badly corroded and broke when I touched it. You can find this lovely little connection by removing the rear seat, the wiring loom runs on the Left side of the car. The connection location is about 2 inches up on the verticle section.
After a butt-splice all worked ok and no "fuse" indication on odometer! This should save you 4-5 hours of wiring troubleshooting.Good luck!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:10 AM
neonftw87
Professional

hellz yeah man... glad you got this up and running, i hope this thread stays open for a while tho so ppl with your same problem will know where to start... mine was having problems like this before i crushed it.. although if this happens again, ill know where to start haha.. thanks man

Old 03-04-2009, 04:05 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When working on my tranny, I forgot to reattach a big ground wire and it caused a spark at a smaller one. Reattached it. Tried starting the car and it was flashing "fuse." Hooked the battery up to a charger for a min., car started fine and haven't seen it since.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:23 AM
neonftw87
Professional

you wouldnt them them measly ground straps mean that much... but damn they do... every wonder why ppl try to boost each other and fry their computers? When you hook the batterys straight together thats 24 volts circulating... thats why they insist you hook the negative to the frame. lol

Old 03-19-2009, 01:24 AM
neonftw87
Professional

oh and not to mention the problems for the batteries for doing that also

Quick Reply: HELP: electrical issues: no radio, no interior lights!