2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

air/fuel ratio ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:18 PM
likeke34
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air/fuel ratio ?

so i got a gauge pod that came with 3 gauges and i got it installed for cheap... it came with a volt/rpm/air fuel ratio gauge, and the guy that installed said he could hook up the volt and rpm, but wasn't sure about the air fuel ratio gauge...

anyways, when i came back he said he was able to get it hooked up...

well, after testing it for a while, the gauge says my car runs lean... like really lean, the bottom of the guage lean...

i'm thinking it may be an installation issue, or at least i hope... either case i think i should take it in and get it checked out at an actual mechanic shop because i read the running really lean gives power but is really bad for the engine...

thoughts?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:23 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

what kinda gauges r they? does it bounce back and forth and go into lean when u take ur foot off the gas? what wire did he hook the gauge to, he should of hooked it to an o2 sensor plug, at the sensor side of the harness.. if it is wired before the harness it will give u a false reading, due to the resistor in the pigtail...

Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 PM
likeke34
Rookie

i'm not sure what he hooked it up to, but at first he said he doesn't know how to hook it up, but when i came back he said he read the instructions and figured it out... the needle only jumps when i first start it up (all 3 gauges do), but after that it slowly moves up about 2 lines/bars and just stays there... oh and it doesn't move when i rev or at all really, just sits there 2 bars up...

Old 02-17-2009, 07:23 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to narrowband A/F gauges. They are basically just a light show. Need a wideband to get any useful information from it.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:09 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by darthroush
Welcome to narrowband A/F gauges. They are basically just a light show. Need a wideband to get any useful information from it.
Yup, what he said. I wouldn't worry about it saying "lean". As long as you still have stock pcm in there it should be fine.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:09 PM
likeke34
Rookie

well that's a relief and a disappointment at the same time lol... thanks though!

Old 02-18-2009, 03:15 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really from what I can see, they aren't even useful on carbureted engines. I was going to get one for my truck to use to check the carburetor tune, but it wouldn't work right, lol. I have been curious what a narrowband A/F gauge is actually useful for and works on correctly?

Old 02-18-2009, 04:29 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

well depending on the gauge u can hook a wideband sensor to it and it will not jump around, u get interference from the ecu trying to constantly keep a good air fuel mixture... when u hook it to a wideband u are only getting the wideband and not the help of the ecu... a frined of mine used a narrow band o2 gauge and his wideband sensor and accually tuned the car like that... he is running ms and could look at the accual numbers of his mixture on his laptop.... if u hooked up an wideband to that gauge it would only fluctuate when the engine does, not when the computer is trying to tell it to.... hence the light show

Old 02-18-2009, 08:17 PM
likeke34
Rookie

so it's supposed to jump around huh, i read that on other sites too... lol he probably didn't hook mine up correctly then cuz it doesn't even move...

Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
mannyfresh18
Veteran

Originally Posted by likeke34
so it's supposed to jump around huh, i read that on other sites too... lol he probably didn't hook mine up correctly then cuz it doesn't even move...
yours sits on LEAN. man mine sits on RICH after bouncing when i turn it on. its a glowshift 7 color tinted series gauge that ive had on there for like 2 years.

but like the other 2 guys mentioned its mostly just useless and it doesnt really do anything besides give u a reading.

Quick Reply: air/fuel ratio ?