2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Spring is coming! Help me paint my car ;) **56k NO**

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:27 PM
OhNo2.0
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring is coming! Help me paint my car ;) **56k NO**

I got most of the exterior mods done to my car that I wanted, I still have one more taillight to paint and maybe some rims (I just put on some 16" steelies off an audi, they fit perfectly, are the perfect width and give it a much meaner stance then the 14's...plus they came with pretty much new Goodyear eagles...for just $150!).

Now for the paint, I have my own shop, paint equipment and just need some suggestions or idea's on a scheme for the car. I'm trying to keep the main color silver just to avoid doing door jams/under the hood and trunk. Also note the primer on the fiberglass is BLACK so when rocks chip away the new paint(in due time) black will show through and be kinda noticable. Black is my second color and I would like to cover most of the fiberglass(Or the places that would chip the most) black so when it does chip it's not as noticable.

I'll start with some pics.

The front looks pretty mean so far and I don't know if it can get any meaner without eyelids maybe. I'm making some brakes tunnels out of fiberglass that will suck air from the bottom holes on either side and push the air into the back of the either wheel to cool the brakes, may be a little much but I notice when my front brakes heat up alot they make noises and wear the rotors out faster...plus it's a fun project. Plus it will add function to the holes. the skinny holes are going to have custom made amber LED side markers(Red for the back slots).
Name:  finished_HLNeon.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  18.4 KB

Here is the whole car, the hood looks kinda plain, and as you can tell neons don't have many body lines so a 2tone job will be kinda difficult
I'm thinking about sanding the mirrors smooth and painting them silver along with the 2 black pieces where the doors join(forgot the name...).
Name:  one_neon_front.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  60.3 KB

You can see the side skirts well here, and the ugly neon cabin bump. I want to throw off the roof line either by painting the roof gloss black or maybe just the whole roof from the bottom of the glass up(once again, hard with no body lines).
Name:  Neon_side_roof.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  48.3 KB

Just a closeup...

Pic of the rear, I was thinking of painting the bump above the exhaust tips black, and maybe joining the 2 tails with a black piece on the trunk lid that follows the lines of the lights.

So much to do...

Last edited by OhNo2.0; 02-20-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:01 PM
OhNo2.0
Professional

Oh and I'm putting chrome rings on the rims instead of buying alloy ones. I like the old school look of rings. They will be here in a few weeks, I'll post pics then.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:49 PM
fastxb12r

I truly like where your going with your car/idea's.I would think a two tone with black on the top from the body line up and silver on the bottom half would be bitchin.sort of like this...http://www.zeckhausen.com/images/Car...T8/Final_1.jpg

or this

http://static.flickr.com/74/211325533_ed582f5842.jpg

Also what type audi did those wheels come off of I have been waiting for my friend with a scion tc to get new wheels for the same reason heck even the same size.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:53 PM
mannyfresh18
Veteran

those are some nice sideskirts.
imma get me a set of those sometime this coming summer.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:55 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

i was going to do two tone on my car at one time, but i decided to keep it one color, i like the one color on the neon

Old 02-20-2009, 05:03 PM
OhNo2.0
Professional

Originally Posted by mannyfresh18
those are some nice sideskirts.
imma get me a set of those sometime this coming summer.
The skirts were horrible to try to get to fit. I had to literally cut them apart and epoxy and fiberglass them together. They are too short for one(fixed that), and the curves do NOT conform to the curves of the car(Fixed that as well). I probably put about 30 hours into the skirts alone(Mostly because I decided to make them permanent...then changed my mind and had to do alot of bodywork)...lol

I also still need to reinforce them on the bottom. They move if you hit them with your foot...not good.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:11 PM
OhNo2.0
Professional

Originally Posted by fastxb12r
I truly like where your going with your car/idea's.I would think a two tone with black on the top from the body line up and silver on the bottom half would be bitchin.sort of like this...http://www.zeckhausen.com/images/Car...T8/Final_1.jpg

or this

http://static.flickr.com/74/211325533_ed582f5842.jpg

Also what type audi did those wheels come off of I have been waiting for my friend with a scion tc to get new wheels for the same reason heck even the same size.
No idea, the guy I bought them off of had them sitting in his backyard. I just noticed the Audi stamp on them. Everything is the same except how they mate to the hub(not really an issue, I think audi's have an indent for each stud...neons don't, but the rim still sits right and won't cause worpage with normal driving).

And for the paint...I like the 2 tone idea...simply because it would match the 2-tone interior(Black bottom, and tan roof/pillars) but there is only one body line I can follow on the side...and it doesn't really match for the front. The back would match cause that same line is on the trunk lid and where the reverse light meets the taillight.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:22 PM
smallblockfreak
All Star

I have a lot of free time right now so i thought i'd try the idea on paint. Kinda hard to do it with a laptop with the touch mouse lol.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:37 PM
fastxb12r

The body line would line up if you put eyelids on your front head lights and painted those also.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:43 PM
OhNo2.0
Professional

Here is my attempt with Gimp.

Found a line on the front, that covers alot of the fiberglass.

Quick Reply: Spring is coming! Help me paint my car ;) **56k NO**