2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

what oil and oil filter is best for my 2004 sxt

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 01:34 PM
blue_bandit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what oil and oil filter is best for my 2004 sxt

i work at a dodge dealership and we use pennzoil 10w-30 non-synthetic in every vehicle, new and used. unless someone requests otherwise, and of course we use mopar filters

Old 04-01-2005, 02:07 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

I use to get oil changes for free at the dealer, It is part of the extended warranty. But I stopped going because it would take almost 2 hours waiting. And I use to work only in the mornings on fridays, but with the new job I have to work all day friday so it became an inconvenience to have them do it. So now I do. My last change I used mobil semi synth because they ran out of mobil 1. I did notice better gas mileage than I was getting from the dealer oil. Next I will use full synthetic. I also used purolator iol filter. Not the cheapest one. The next level up.

I have heard amsoil is suppose to be good, but they don't sell it around here so can't try it out.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:44 PM
redrocc
Professional

to give you the gods honest truth........it really is the preferrence of the owner of the car, what you grew up using, or what you have experience with. with now a days technology, there are a lot of options out there.......just depends on what you want, how much you want to spend, how much life you want out of your oil and engine, and how often you want to change your oil. no certain oil or oil filter will void your warranty, just as long as you change the oil as recommended by the manufacturer.

Old 04-02-2005, 07:26 PM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: blue_bandit

i work at a dodge dealership and we use pennzoil 10w-30 non-synthetic in every vehicle, new and used. unless someone requests otherwise, and of course we use mopar filters
even when the FSM calls for 5w30? somethings screwy at your dealership, ive never seen a dealership use only 1 weight of oil before.. and ive been to QUITE a few.
(example, the neon recommends 5w30)

sure 10w30 wont hurt it, but for working at a dealership, which pretty much is supposed to follow all the FSM procedures, i just find it odd you arent following the oil recommendations for each vehicle, just dumping the one weight in.
especially since you arent putting synthetic in vipers? wow.

Old 04-03-2005, 05:24 AM
ewetho
All Star

Simply put if you look in the owners manual of new Neons for example the manual actually lits both 5W-30 and 10W-30 for almost all circumstances in America. If you get below 0F then 5W is perferred. If you were to ask several oil manufacturers for there recommendation then you would probably get 10W-30 for almost year round. Even in a standard chicago winter. Now why would the recommend 10W-30 instead of 5W-30. Well that is another interesting debate. Good 'ol GM recommended 10W-30 for almost all cars because it is considerably more resistant to thermal breakdown. Heck even the Supercharged 3800's were (I think still are) still on well after all of the other GM card were on 5W-30. Heck this is the sole reason they did not recommend 10W-40 because you would end up at the end of a service interval worse off than 10W-30. There are still other manufacturers including GM that also would allow the use of 5W-30 up to about 40℉ then allow 10W-30 to well over 100℉. So for me in the heat of spring to fall then 10W-30 is prabably best. Winte depending on location 5W-30 or 10W-30 depending on if you are going to get under 0℉ or not.

Yes, Synthetics do a much better job as they will do several things much better. Heck you run a modern Corvette on stadard Dinosaur oil and it will Die. Initially they certified some semi-sythetics but have since pulled certification on those too as they had Corvette engines dying on that stuff too. Semi-sythetics are good too but not Corvette good (seems that GM eliminated the oil cooler). Ford is using the semi-sythetics as there standard oil in all new cars. All of there 5W-20 and 5W-30 is now semi-synthetic. The diesel is still mineral based though as well as there 10W-30. Both of the later are used in the diesels one as winter oil. So be that as it may.

So if ya got money to sped then the best oil is Redline Oil, then your into Mobil 1(Extended life preferred) and Royal Purple. The others such as Quaker State, Pennzoil, Vavoline, Castrol etc. are all very good too. The Redline is only because it is the best base stocks available (even the lubricating industr will not dispute that, only the cost benifit.) but it is expesive.

I just ran it for the last 4.5K miles and runs really well and getting between 31 and 33 MPG. Yup 10W-30. I ran a 1.3 liter SSuzuki with 40K miles 10K on it no problems (5K filter change). Will begoing back to Mobil Clean 7500 Semi-Synthetic due to finance but it does run good.

Yes from the best reviews I can find the best filter is the Mobil1 102 for a neon. Mopar is OK too. Just don't use Fram cardboard end cap crap. Use an oil filter. Wix, Purolator, Mobil.

Quick Reply: what oil and oil filter is best for my 2004 sxt