2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

after adding spark plugs it sputter's

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Painkiller1011
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well before i even had posted I changed the plugs.. but now that i changed the plugs it will randomly sputter... I didn't buy the wires yet but I am looking around for some good prices. Does anyone know of a good place to get them off the net?

Thank's and yes I will post if the wires fixed the problem or not.

Pain

Old 04-19-2009, 03:00 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Modern Performance or Summit Racing.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:14 AM
N3ON
Captain

dude modern performance is so expensive.the only place i've ordered anything is ebay.most of my parts are off ebay(tails,HID's,srt wing,corner lenses,underglow)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-B...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01...Q5fAccessories

i didnt really look at these good but here are some off ebay.prices aren't to bad

Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Painkiller1011

well... I had a freind look at it today after church.. he said check the air filter too..

So i pooped that open and whoa.. nasty bad dirty...
I am going to try to replace that first.. cuase he doesnt seem to think its the wires..
But well see and thanks for looking those prices up on ebay im gona keep an eye on them..

Pain

Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Nappers
Professional

I changed my plugs only last year and I have had no problems.

Carbon Tracking.....Hmmmm, never heard of it either

Old 04-20-2009, 02:33 AM
djmagic
Record Breaker

On the plugs what kind did you use? I haven't heard of the must replace at the same time either. Just make sure you get decent wires. My personal experience is that the grantinilli wires stink. I use the Mopar performance wires in mine with Denso Iridiums

Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Painkiller1011

i used champion plugs

Pain

Old 04-20-2009, 11:48 AM
fastxb12r

Carbon tracking????===Google is your friend

Carbon tracking leaves dark lines, possibly looking like cracks, permanently etched into the spark plug ceramic and rubber of the boot. Carbon tracking cannot be rubbed or cleaned off by any means.

Higher peak cylinder pressures require higher demand voltage for spark plug operation. Higher demand voltage increases the stress on the spark plug to spark plug boot dielectric interface, such that contamination and air gaps between the spark plug and boot can cause this interface to breakdown. A break in the dielectric interface can allow the spark to find a path to ground other than the center electrode. These paths or carbon tracks are etched into both the spark plug and the spark plug boot

I would pull the spark plugs out and look at them closely to see if there is any evidence of carbon tracking. To correct this condition, it is necessary to change both the spark plug wire and the spark plug at the same time on only the cylinder involved. Changing only the spark plug or only the spark plug wire will not prevent the carbon tracking from recurring. Carbon tracking will happen again in the same location much quicker if half of the track is still available. Recurrence of the same problem is likely in as little as 1,000 miles if the carbon track is not totally removed.

I must tell you a dirty airfilter will not make your car have the symptoms you stated in the first post.You very well could of cracked the ceramic when gapping or damaged the electrode pull the plugs and look at each one real good.I once got a set of plugs installed them and had a similar thing happen removed the plugs cheacked them and one of the ceramic pieces had a hairline crack in it more than likely from someone dropping it at the store.You could of also damaged the wires inside the plug wires when removing depending on age,use and how you removed them.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:03 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A break in the dielectric interface can allow the spark to find a path to ground other than the center electrode. These paths or carbon tracks are etched into both the spark plug and the spark plug boot.
I'm not aiming this towards you directly, just quoting the information...

OK, fine and dandy, but what I am taking from this is that you get carbon tracking when one of the two break, literally. My thing was more of the "you must do them together every time or it will run like crap" train of thought. For example, when I changed my plugs and was getting asked why I didn't change my wires.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Painkiller1011

hey guys... I ended up just changeing the wires and it works just fine Thanx for all the help

Pain

Quick Reply: after adding spark plugs it sputter's