2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

New 2000 Neon need some answers

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:44 PM
tr10av
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2000 Neon need some answers

I'm in college and just bought a 2000 Neon ES with only 33k miles on it. I think I got a steal as it was driven by an old man from day 1 and treated perfectly as far as I can tell. Now for the problems I have since found:

1)The car shakes like crazy, especially when I'm idling at a red light or something. The dash vibrates and the hood even vibrates a little. And when I get up to around 70 mph the steering wheel starts to shake a little bit, but when I took it in to Goodyear for an oil change they said it was aligned and they rotated the tires but that didn't help.

2)When I start the car where the mileage is supposed to be the word fuse pops up and the warning bell dings a couple of times then it goes off and everything is fine the rest of the time I'm driving. This only happens on start-up. The only thing I've found is that my rear speakers don't work but that wouldn't be from a fuse so I don't know what the deal is with that. Also above the mileage it says the word "door", is this normal and if not what does it mean? All my doors are securely closed and it says this from start-up to whenever I turn it off.

Thanks alot guys. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:13 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine does that damn idle thing because of a mount --> check are the motor mounts to see if they are broken. Happens. I had my new one break in about 10,000 miles.

As for the fuse message, could be the battery or a bad ground.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:22 AM
contagious19
Champion

if the vibration is like the car wants to turn off, could b spark plugs or wires.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:45 PM
tr10av

Originally Posted by contagious19
if the vibration is like the car wants to turn off, could b spark plugs or wires.
Its definately not that. The car runs perfectly.

I did some messing around and the vibrations really only occur when I'm idling. I was at a red light and the vibrations were present so I put the car in neutral and revved up the engine a couple hundred RPM's (not sure the exact number as I don't have a tach) and the vibrations dissappeared. What could this mean and how could I solve it.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:17 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I tried resetting the computer last night. I don't know why I keep trying things until I replace the mount and pull the inserts (back in as a temporary fix ATM) back out.

I just have to lightly touch the gas for them to go away. Maybe 100RPM?

Old 05-18-2009, 12:11 AM
mjs182004
Veteran

Mine does the whole vibrating thing at idle and when it is warm outside. I found that if the A/C is on or if the defroster is on that it wont happen. I usually just keep it in gear and hold my left foot on the brake and use my right foot to give it a little gas and it will idle up back to normal. it's weird but it has done that since new. and the car shaking when your driving may just be your tires needing to be balanced. Not sure about the rest yet.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Dorin_82
Professional

Originally Posted by mjs182004
Mine does the whole vibrating thing at idle and when it is warm outside. I found that if the A/C is on or if the defroster is on that it wont happen. I usually just keep it in gear and hold my left foot on the brake and use my right foot to give it a little gas and it will idle up back to normal. it's weird but it has done that since new.
Mine does exactly the same thing. I was thinking it had something to do with the vaccum in the brake boost area. I was gonna play with it a little, see what i can get. But if u say yours does that since new, then i have a feeling it might be a software-computer problem. Cause i know a lot of people have the same problem and nobody found a solution so far. And i bet the dealer mechanics have no clue also. Althou it's very annoying, guess i'll keep on hitting the gas a bit instead of spending thousands going through dealerships and resolving absolutly nothing.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:01 PM
tr10av

Yea sounds like I'll just have to deal with the vibrations at idle. Its really not that big of a deal I'm already used to it. The high speed vibrations are basically gone. I had the tires rotated and that seems to have stopped the vibrations. And my door fuse problem I figured out but I still need some clarification on exaclty what to look for and how to fix it.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:18 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mjs182004
Mine does the whole vibrating thing at idle and when it is warm outside. I found that if the A/C is on or if the defroster is on that it wont happen. I usually just keep it in gear and hold my left foot on the brake and use my right foot to give it a little gas and it will idle up back to normal. it's weird but it has done that since new. and the car shaking when your driving may just be your tires needing to be balanced. Not sure about the rest yet.
If I turn the AC or defroster on, the damn car shakes like a jackhammer! The keys rattle, the dash looks like it is going to pop off...

Old 05-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Py1stazty
Professional

aren't neons just lovely?

:P

mine doesn't rattle until i get up into the 90s-100s or so

Quick Reply: New 2000 Neon need some answers