2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Need help with wire ID for radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:20 PM
tr10av
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with wire ID for radio

Just installed my new HU in my 2000 Neon and everything works great. Just had a few questions because I found something pretty strange that I've never seen before. So there was the normal wiring harness which was pretty standard no surprises. Then there was a black wire with a plug that plugged directly into the radio. I figured this was a ground and tested it and it was so I cut off the connector and wired that to the HU harness.

The thing that has me confused is there was a purple/yellow (i think) wire that was not part of the main wiring harness that also had a connector on the end of it which was plugged directly into the radio. I have not been able to determine what that is for. It's not a big deal since my HU works great but I would just like to know for future reference. If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:08 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it was a large black wire with a silver push-in end on it, that's probably the one for the antenna. Don't remember seeing that other wire though on mine. Did you have a CD changer or anything?

Old 05-29-2009, 02:24 AM
tr10av

No i know what the antennae is. It was a completely different clip and it was only that one single wire. I looked up a few different wiring diagrams and didn't see anything on them. No cd changer either. I'm a little confused. Did yours have the ground wire that was seperate from the wiring harness and plugged directly into the stock HU? because thats exactly what this is except a different color wire.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:11 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, all of my wires got wired up into the new harness as far as I remember.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:59 AM
KARR
Record Breaker

What HU do you have? My Pioneer that I installed last Nov. had a back ground that had to be connected to the car body. Other than that all my wires connected to the wire harness. My purple and purple/black and yellow and yellow/black wires were used for my speakers only. So until you can tell me what HU you have IDK.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:00 PM
KARR
Record Breaker

Did you at least tape off the wire so it wont touch any metal and short out anything?

Old 05-30-2009, 08:15 PM
neon chic
Veteran

i had a wire on mine that didnt hook up cant remember what it was for but i didnt have it ive hooked up a couple stereos in my car and allways cut it off and taped the end of it

Old 05-31-2009, 04:34 AM
tr10av

It wasn't a bare wire. It had a connector on the end of it that plugged directly into the radio just like the ground wire was seperate and had a clip on it that plugged directly into the radio.

The HU I had is the stock radio/cassette player. I'm not talking about the aftermarket HU I installed I'm talking about the stock HU. Everything wired up fine for the HU I just installed.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:15 AM
mjs182004
Veteran

sounds like that extra clip is for a cd changer if equipped.

Quick Reply: Need help with wire ID for radio