2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

You should all do yourselves a favour...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:52 AM
OhNo2.0
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You should all do yourselves a favour...

Pull your fuel pump relay to reset the computer (easier then removing terminal)...

For some reason, I did this, then drove it for 50km EASY, not hard like before...and it runs 20x better. Smoother idle, smoother shift, throttle position seemed to have changed to achieve certain speeds and the tick has settled quite a bit.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:01 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Couldn't hurt to try and fix the stupid rough idle. Isn't there an IAC relearn procedure too for the Neons?

Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 AM
OhNo2.0
Professional

Originally Posted by darthroush
Couldn't hurt to try and fix the stupid rough idle. Isn't there an IAC relearn procedure too for the Neons?
Well that's why I pulled the relay, I just read a thread that that shuts power to the pump AND the computer but not your radio and the such.

Is there a different way to do this? And maybe even get better results? Considering I changed the intake, exhaust, plugs, plug gap, fuel, oil etc I can only see good coming from having the computer relearn how it should properly run. Learn me how!

And the rough idle I believe is mostly because of the 2 shot motor mounts(Not really idle, but vibrations is what I mean by "rough idle"). I have an engine that's gonna be rebuilt one of these days and already have replacement mounts. Just gonna do it all in one shot.

Last edited by OhNo2.0; 06-30-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I have tried removing the terminals for extended periods of time. I just swear I remember seeing something somewhere about an IAC re-learn, since it is electrical and influences the computer. I have changed and cleaned everything I can think of to fix the idle, and nada thus far. I'm hoping replacing the upper mount, again, will help some. The stupid shop put the new one in backwords... I'm sure it will though. Inserts are coming out too. Left them in to help a bit with the broken mount.

I am talking rough idle from the engine idling a bit too low or something. If I push the gas pedal in ust like a fraction of an inch, the rough idle goes completely away. That's why I'm wondering about the IAC procedure, if there is such a thing.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:24 AM
OhNo2.0
Professional

I have tried removing the terminals for extended periods of time. I just swear I remember seeing something somewhere about an IAC re-learn, since it is electrical and influences the computer. I have changed and cleaned everything I can think of to fix the idle, and nada thus far. I'm hoping replacing the upper mount, again, will help some. The stupid shop put the new one in backwords... I'm sure it will though. Inserts are coming out too. Left them in to help a bit with the broken mount.

I am talking rough idle from the engine idling a bit too low or something. If I push the gas pedal in ust like a fraction of an inch, the rough idle goes completely away. That's why I'm wondering about the IAC procedure, if there is such a thing.
You should know that on the throttle body, there is a adjust screw on the bottom on the backside, under the connection for the cables. I just seen it today when I pulled my intake apart to clean everything.

If all you need is that fraction of an inch, I can't see why turning that screw will hurt anything, Makes it a whole lot easier and cheaper then running relearn procedures with a DRB scanner.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:16 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Huh, didn't notice it when pulling it in and out a billion times working on the tranny. Will have to take a peek at it one of these days. I still need to have that TSB issue addressed, but don't have the $100 to get it done.

Replaced the upper motor mount tonight and did not reinstall the insert. Turned the AC on at idle. Seems better already. Not sure if the insert was the big problem though either. The mount was installed backwards by the shop. Going to take out the lower insert anyways and see how it goes.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:38 PM
OhNo2.0
Professional

2 mounts are shot in my neon. I just consider it cheaper then buying one of those seat massagers.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 PM
kabuk1
Professional

My car does the same exact thing! I thought I was the only one. It idles real low & rough, then I tap the gas & it goes back to normal. I'm gonna hunt for that screw too. Jeez that sounded bad lol...

Old 07-02-2009, 01:54 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

LOL. Seems better for starters for sure having a non-broken mount installed the correct way. Just have to remove the bottom insert and see what happens. I'm sure I will still need to give the idle some adjusting.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:52 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I used SeaFoam in the car (still not sure if it actually does anything, but can't say it doesn't either. Seems to have helped the Bronco for a little bit when I used it.) and pulled the relay for like an hour. Drove it around a few miles easily after that. Will see what happens later. I can say, before I did the above, idle was better feeling already with the new mount in.