2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Dome light stays on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:07 AM
chazbeenhad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome light stays on.

Hello everyone!

I have a 2001 Dodge Neon that randomly thinks the driver side door is open.

Can someone tell me where is the door ajar switch for the driver side front door?
Is it part of the door stopper? I know my door stopper may be bad because it makes 2 loud cracking sounds when you open or close the door.

Also, what is the replacement part I need to get (part number or internet link?) and how easy is it to install?

Can I simply remove a fuse for the time being until I get the new part installed? If so, what fuse and where is it located?

Thank you in advance!

Charlie

Old 07-22-2009, 12:52 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

I have the same problem. I never did find out the reason why it wouldn't turn off. It started shortly after i bought a new cluster. It would say door on the cluster, but since i bought another cluster, it has since gone away. Now the dome light doesn't work at all. Just remove the bulb until you isolate the problem., becareful that little bulb gets mighty hot...

Old 07-25-2009, 09:02 PM
00Neon89
Rookie

dittio mine just started doing it i have a 2000 SE there is it looks like a little black button should have a regular screw in it you can either take it out an clip it or do what i did to a rubber thing from a pen an put it over it an no more dome light on let me know what you do..

Old 07-26-2009, 04:55 PM
greenlantern420

I just popped out the black plug so it was out far enough and super glued it so wouldn't sink farther back in I just did this today when I got home with the car I just bought.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Just shut the door.

I had to.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:48 AM
neon chic
Veteran

i jury rigged mine a got those squares of foam double sided tape and stuck a bunc of them together and stuck them on the door where the sensor thing hits it and its worked fine since i did it which was 2.5 years ago

Old 07-28-2009, 03:45 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll trade you door switches. My dome light won't come on when the driver door is open.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:44 AM
tr10av

I had the same problem. All you have to do is find out which door stopper is bad and either replace it or take it off. Theres no harm in taking it off besides not having the electronic warning when that door is open. Then you can put the dome light back on and the dash won't constantly say fuse.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 AM
eurotunerz

I had the same problem and your door ajar is worn out. My back door on my passenger side would always say door open when its closed. I read about it on the internet and i figured out that was the problem. I took the dome light off so it doesn't dry out your battery. I went to murrays as you can find it very cheap an bought me a new door ajar and just replaced it and that annoying beep everytime you go and the door light coming on disappeared forever .

Old 01-08-2011, 07:24 AM
03SXTGUY
Amateur

I know this is an old post but just a thought...did you make sure the instrument cluster display light adjuster on the left control wand (off of the steering wheel) isn't turned all the way back towards the cluster as this is to turn on and keep the dome light on even if all doors are shut. If that isn't the solution; I'm not sure about Dodge's but my old Audi had door sensors in each door - possibly yours has failed? Just my 0.02

Quick Reply: Dome light stays on.