2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Got an electrical problem....any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 02:54 AM
casper
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got an electrical problem....any ideas?

Check you local laws, but most states allow white of amber.

Old 03-29-2005, 10:59 AM
y2neones
Veteran

you guys know where i can find the laws on that for PA

Old 03-30-2005, 03:02 AM
casper
Legend

Call your local police department.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:24 AM
01NeonR/T
Rookie

I've been away for awhile. I have all LED lighting in my turn signal lamps as well, front and back. The problem I had and still have with the LED's is after a couple of weeks they began to flash the signal lamps excessively fast. I found out that because the diode has little to no resistance, you need load equalizers to regulate the amount of electricity flowing through it. Normally incandesant bulbs use filaments to regulate the electricity. As the filament gets charged over and over again, it wears out the material, eventually breaking the filament and changing the resistance. I don't know why the LED's worked normally for a couple of weeks then went on a speedflash rampage. A friend of mine suggested I get one of those dial type regulators. Basically a wired in rheostat. Now my signals aren't busted, but still flash irregularly. The real problem I got is the Keyless entry/alarm. There is no fuse in the fusebox(es) for this function, and the dealer wants 800 bucks to replace my instrument cluster, and they don't know if that will fix the problem. It just doesn't work at all. I have NO literature to guide me, and no idea if there is a fusible link or something I could just replace or if the circuitboard is damaged or what. If anyone has any ideas, email me or pm or post reply. One more thing, I also have clear sidemarkers with Superwhite LED's, and apparently they are illegal in California, but I haven't got any guff from John law yet. So I dunno.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:37 PM
roadrnnr
Rookie

Try to find a heavy duty flasher of the same number of pins.

Not sure why they would flash normally for awhile.

I just changed to Led Tails in my 2004 Jeep and no body makes a HD Flasher for the Wranglers. Seems Chrysler went to a differant flasher in 2003. The fix was wiring in a switch inside the flasher that bypassed the "Bulb Out" detection part of the circuit in the flasher. Yours may be the same.

Your flasher thinks the bulbs are burned out cause the LED'S have no resistance.

Do not wire any kind of resistor in the light circuit. They cause to much heat.

I will try to fid the diagnosis procedure for the keyless entry module.

What year is your Neon again?

Old 03-31-2005, 02:04 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Okay, heres the story with mine. I first put LEDs in my front blinkers. It blinked at about twice speed it did before. It looked like my car was on crack. Then I put LEDs in my tail lights and it went to blinking normal. Now I've had them front and back for over a month now with absolutely no problems. Then about 2 weeks ago I put all LEDs in my guage cluster. And for some ricer reason I put them in my turn signals on the cluster as well to change the green arrows to blue arrows. Everything worked fine for about a week, then it stopped all by itself. Nothing works now, no blinkers, no hazards. All my lights still work, I just have no blinkers or hazards. I'm guessing it has something to do with my flasher or multifunction switch. I even switched my cluster out to regular bulbs. That didn't make a bit of difference.

Old 03-31-2005, 02:12 PM
casper
Legend

I have been asking around and no one has a clue. It is still doin it with the old stock bulbs back in? You must have blew a fuse or a fuseable link or somethin somewhere. Best idea I have is start ringing things out with a meter, sorry.

Old 03-31-2005, 02:34 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Yes, I put stock bulbs in. I checked fuses and replaced one that was blown and it still didn't work. So I really think that the flasher or multifunction switch is fried. Everything on the multifunction switch works, i can dim my guages, my fogs work, my dome light works. Only thing that doesn't work is my turn signals and hazards.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:08 PM
casper
Legend

I doubt that your mulitfunction is bad, I would replace the flasher and see if that does it. Does you high/lows work? You can get the falsher for a couple of bucks from autozone.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:34 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

I was looking at a site with LED bulbs, and hard to tell without having an actual one in front of me. LED's require a resistor in series to control the current. I couldn't see a resistor in the LED wedge bulbs, so if there isn't a resistor in it then the LED gets all the current and will burn up.

Also something to think about, I am not sure how all the wiring is done in the cars, But if say the right front and right back are wired in parallel(which would make sense so if the front bulb burns out the back still works) the resistance of the 2 bulbs will go down and the current will go up. So if the LED bulbs may be exceeded the amps the flasher can handle.

Quick Reply: Got an electrical problem....any ideas?