2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darthroush
The 03+ transmissions are completely electronically controlled for starters. Everything about the transmission's performance is controlled from a separate transmission computer. Yes, the transmission has it's own computer. The internals may be similar (quite possibly identical), but there is much more to them than the previous ones. Once the transmission is rebuilt, they also require computer programming and relearn procedures performed via the DRBIII scanner tool (or whatever it is Dodge calls it). You can't simply tear one down, completely rebuild it and toss it back into the car. You put in an 02 or earlier transmission in place of an 03+, you'll have problems. Now, if you replace the harness and computer, etc., fine. Is the price still outrageous? Yes.
Gee, the 02 has this completely electronically controlled transmission and is EXACTLY the same as the 03 with one exception, the final drive ratio which is VERY easy to change. Oh, I just figured it out, you actually really don't know squat about transmissions. the 62TE has NEVER been denoted at an A604 and is ONLY used in 08+ Minivans, 07+ pacifica, 07+ sebring, 08+avenger, 09+ JourneyThe only automatic in the neon from 1994-2001 was the 31TH (aka 413). In 02 to the end the only automatic was the 41TE and guess what the rebuild kit for the Electronically controlled Neon transmission is the EXACT same kit as a 1989 minivan. Same clutches, same seals, it's all the same rebuild parts... So to say that this transmission is 'expensive to rebuild' it is no more expensive than rebuilding any other 41TE trans. A/Trsax Kit,Overhaul w/Friction Clutch Plates Only Product Line: NAPA Automatic Transmission Parts Per Car Qty.: 1Compare ATP 17987 PriceUnit : : $174.00Each And Napa's price for the 'special' Neon overdrive transmission is double what I pay from my trans supplier. So the point is $3000+ to rebuild a trans is totally rediculous as I was saying and again, there is NOTHING special about the 02+ Neon Electronically controlled transmissin that hasn't been around since 1989!!!! BTW I'll put my chrysler 41TE knowledge and rebuilding skills up against anyone on this board!!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:36 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 92dak5.24x4
Gee, the 02 has this completely electronically controlled transmission and is EXACTLY the same as the 03 with one exception, the final drive ratio which is VERY easy to change. I know. Oh, I just figured it out, you actually really don't know squat about transmissions. the 62TE has NEVER been denoted at an A604 and is ONLY used in 08+ Minivans, 07+ pacifica, 07+ sebring, 08+avenger, 09+ Journey. I never said it was used in the Neon's (I know what it is used in), however it is in the same family as the A604 transmissions. If you want to be technical, the Neon transmission is a 41TE, not an A604. A604 is the family of Chrysler's Ultradrive transmissions, which yes, have been around since 1989. The 62TE is in that family. The only automatic in the neon from 1994-2001 was the 31TH (aka 413). Uh huh. In 02 to the end the only automatic was the 41TE and guess what the rebuild kit for the Electronically controlled Neon transmission is the EXACT same kit as a 1989 minivan. Same clutches, same seals, it's all the same rebuild parts... So to say that this transmission is 'expensive to rebuild' it is no more expensive than rebuilding any other 41TE trans. A/Trsax Kit,Overhaul w/Friction Clutch Plates Only Product Line: NAPA Automatic Transmission Parts Per Car Qty.: 1Compare ATP 17987 PriceUnit : : $174.00Each And Napa's price for the 'special' Neon overdrive transmission is double what I pay from my trans supplier. So the point is $3000+ to rebuild a trans is totally rediculous as I was saying and again, there is NOTHING special about the 02+ Neon Electronically controlled transmissin that hasn't been around since 1989!!!! BTW I'll put my chrysler 41TE knowledge and rebuilding skills up against anyone on this board!! I said the price was ridiculous too. That's why I took mine apart myself instead of paying a shop $2,600 for it. Granted, luckily, it didn't need a complete rebuild. Hell, I found a site yesterday that sells their rebuilt "race" style 41TE transmission, and the 41TE was about $600 more than the 31TH. All I am saying, is that there must be something, whatever it is, that makes it more expensive. Rebuild prices are more. Rebuilt transmissions are more. Again, if not, the world is ripping 41TE owners off. I will never pay a shop for something that I can do myself.
Cheers

Old 01-08-2010, 07:09 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

so why even bring up the 6 speed? So what did you use for special tools needed to rebuild your 41TE. Oh and did you notice that I SPECIFIED in a post you argued with me all the terminology for the 4speed trans A604 (aka 41TE aka F4AC1) so the 02+ neon DOES use an A604 trans BFD that the name was changed, a pile of crap is still a pile of $hit.. the content and function is still the same.The ONLY thing that makes a rebuild on these transmissions is that joe consumer is brainwashed that an electronically controlled transmission requires high skill due to the complexity. The 41TE is the EASIEST transmission I have ever rebuilt... it's even easier to do than a Power glide and that only has 2 speeds.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:48 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

so why even bring up the 6 speed? To try and get the point across better that they aren't the exact same so that may be why the rebuild prices differ. Would a 6 speed cost more than a 3 speed to rebuild? Though, I did start pulling some stuff out of it while it was out, and decided to just put it back before I screwed it up worse than it was. So what did you use for special tools needed to rebuild your 41TE. I didn't need to rebuild it. Every shop I called wanted to, for about $2500. I simply fixed what broke; which was the oil pump. I started pulling more of it apart, but decided to just leave it be since I needed the car ASAP. I got more curious when I saw the TC marked like they do in a Pick-n-Pull as an '02 Neon, so apparently this damn thing has had issues before. Oh and did you notice that I SPECIFIED in a post you argued with me all the terminology for the 4speed trans A604 (aka 41TE aka F4AC1) so the 02+ neon DOES use an A604 trans BFD that the name was changed, a pile of crap is still a pile of $hit.. the content and function is still the same.The ONLY thing that makes a rebuild on these transmissions is that joe consumer is brainwashed that an electronically controlled transmission requires high skill due to the complexity. The 41TE is the EASIEST transmission I have ever rebuilt... it's even easier to do than a Power glide and that only has 2 speeds. Yeah, all A604. I was just specifying. To repeat once more, I have not had to rebuild one...yet, thank God. I just prefer not to work on an auto. I therefore only assumed that being all electronic vs. hydraulic and having that extra gear made it cost more. I do know and understand they use the same rebuild kits, because I started pricing everything when all of the shops told me I needed a rebuild. I don't know why it costs so much. When they quoted me those prices, I simply said thanks and left. I do know, if I have another major transmission issue, I will be converting to a manual to save myself the trouble later. Even with all of the changes and revisions to the A604, they still don't have it right.
Here's more than 5 characters so it will post...

Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 AM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

you took your trans apart? the oil pump was broken? that's a new one, I've never seen that, have the old one and any pictures? How did you determine the pump was bad? so when you put in a new pump and installed, it worked? did you do you critcial relarn proceedure with your DRBIII as you said needed to be done? there is NO extra 'gear' it's all in the design of the planetary sets. the 3 speed has 2 planet/carriers, 2 annulus gears and 1 common sun. the A604 and 41TE and F4AC1, and A606 and 42LE have 2 planet/carriers 2 annulus gears and 2 sun gears. There sure is a big cost difference there... NOT. The rebuild kit for the 31TH (404, 413, 670) is the same price. Here's another FACT, the 670 3speed used behind the 3.0 v-6 uses the same torque converter as the 41TE trans used behind the 3.0. I own ALL the factory rebuild tools for this transmission along with others (A500, A518, 42LE, AOD, AXOD, E4OD, 700R4)I highly doubt you'd have the capabilities to convert the car over to manual trans.DONE!!!!

Old 01-10-2010, 05:44 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

you took your trans apart? the oil pump was broken? that's a new one, I've never seen that, have the old one and any pictures? How did you determine the pump was bad? so when you put in a new pump and installed, it worked? did you do you critcial relarn proceedure with your DRBIII as you said needed to be done? there is NO extra 'gear' it's all in the design of the planetary sets. the 3 speed has 2 planet/carriers, 2 annulus gears and 1 common sun. the A604 and 41TE and F4AC1, and A606 and 42LE have 2 planet/carriers 2 annulus gears and 2 sun gears. There sure is a big cost difference there... NOT. The rebuild kit for the 31TH (404, 413, 670) is the same price. Here's another FACT, the 670 3speed used behind the 3.0 v-6 uses the same torque converter as the 41TE trans used behind the 3.0. I own ALL the factory rebuild tools for this transmission along with others (A500, A518, 42LE, AOD, AXOD, E4OD, 700R4)I highly doubt you'd have the capabilities to convert the car over to manual trans.DONE!!!!
I didn't have to take the trans apart. With all of your expertise, you should know the oil pump is the first thing behind the TC. I do have pictures on a disc somewhere, as well as pictures here. However, I'm surprised you don't know what it looks like with all of your experience and expertise? Sheesh. I can only hope you aren't actually working on these things provided the second thing you get on these "simple" transmissions to is a complete mystery to you? How did I determine it was bad? The "Loss of Prime" DTC along with the "Incorrect Gear Ratio" DTCs for all 4 gears, then by eliminating all of the other possible causes, I was left with the oil pump; per the Dodge Shop Manual. I didn't do a relearn because I didn't take apart the entire transmission and rebuild it. Good job not reading the past three times I've stated that. I also know the rebuild kit is the same price; I've said that too, as have you in almost every post. It's not like a puller, pressure gauge, dial indicator, seal puller/installer, etc., are all that special anyways. You make it sound like you have to spend a fortune on special tools to do the job. You can find most of the tools from the right parts stores. I have a list of every tool, along with the Dodge/Chrysler part number to go along with them, that are needed to perform the job. Am I supposed to be impressed you have them? I mean, you actually bought the oil pump puller [PN C-3752], to pull out the part you are baffled by? I simply put two of the bolts back in and pulled up. Done.

It's actually not hard to convert a Neon to a manual transmission. Fairly common practice on Neon's actually by those who have the automatics and have major problems with them, nor do you need any of those fancy, factory rebuild tools to do so. I'd explain what parts you needed, but being the "wiz" you are, I'm sure you already know. With this last post, you are completely losing all credibility with me. You are simply retyping and repeating what you have said before. As for me not having the capabilities, whatever you think. I couldn't care less what you think I am or am not capable of, although, it's apparent who is the more intelligent of us two. I'm "DONE!!!" now too.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:56 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

pipe down ladies. obviously one of you knows more than the other.

anyway, do i have to use ATF+4?

Old 01-10-2010, 02:41 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You don't have too...no one has a gun to your head, do they? ATF+4 would be your best bet though, lol. How ya been Bone? Haven't seen you around in a while.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:49 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by darthroush
You don't have too...no one has a gun to your head, do they? ATF+4 would be your best bet though, lol. How ya been Bone? Haven't seen you around in a while.
why you laughing punk? its a serious question and i want a serious awnser. lol

i come and go as i see fit and right now im not caring too much about cars and crap, but i like to stop in and harrass the kids.

i'm doing pretty good, i still have a decent job and my home, so i guess im doing better than all those unemployed folks. neons pretty much still suck and my next ride probably will be a ford.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Ah, got ya. Still having a job and a roof over your head is always good! Oh, yeah, use ATF+4.

Quick Reply: transmission problems