2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

new 2003 neon owner and problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Twkdout066
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kcigarc
I too have a similar situation w/ my injectors, it just started to sputter this week then yseterday stalled out on me, I took it too two different place and both are of no help. The difference between his situation & mine is my cat when it stalled out this last time was red hot! Is my injector #1 (code p0201) bad or maybe the wiring or is it my cat & o2 sensor? I do get a code (p0138) but not sure what is causing it to stall out? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

It sounds to me like your injectors may be stuck open flooding the cylinder and unburned gas is flowing into you cat which then burns it becoming red hot. That's definitely a bad situation. Keep troubleshooting until it is fixed before driving it. CAR FIRE = BAD DAY.

Last edited by Twkdout066; 02-17-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: to make sure I am replying to the correct person
Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Twkdout066

Originally Posted by tommyl
Ok, well I am going to keep trouble shooting, I got today off so I will be out there most of the day working on it.
If it ends up not being an electrical problem then its mechanical. As rare and unusual as this is a broken intake rocker arm would prevent fuel from entering just one cylinder as well.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Twkdout066
If it ends up not being an electrical problem then its mechanical. As rare and unusual as this is a broken intake rocker arm would prevent fuel from entering just one cylinder as well.
If that were the case, wouldn't you end up with a misfire code as well?

Old 02-18-2010, 01:06 PM
mkov608
Amateur

A simple vacuum analysis could help to isolate valve problem (Haynes manual Chapter 2, part B, section 4). As another option, it's very easy to pull that valve cover and take a look. After you pull the valve cover, have a friend turn the engine over by putting a 19mm socket on the crank pulley bolt and then observe what the valve train is doing. If you get bad results from the vacuum analysis, check the compression of all the cylinders. From what I have read so far, I still suspect a frayed wire in the injector wire harness that is intermittently shorting to ground and preventing the injector from getting power.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:10 PM
kcigarc
Default Fuel Injector Bad?

If the fuel injector or lets say the wiring harness is bad, would that cause the vehicle to stall out like it has been? I figured it would still run just shy one cylinder, but i guess not if it's clogging up the cat. Another question i have, can i hollow out my cat? That way there is no chance of this happening again (we do not have emissions testing were i live, just visual)? I realize i would have to unplug the o2 sensor, but would i have to unplug both or just the one (at the cat). Keep in mind fellas this is a "beater" vehicle for me to get back & forth to work, thanks.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:38 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can't simply unplug an O2 sensor. Same effect as having a hollow cat or a bad O2 sensor. Having raw fuel run through the engine is going to cause problems in time too. Gas will mix with your oil, and your onto even more problems. Fix it the right way and save yourself lots of trouble later on.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:13 AM
kcigarc
Default Update

Alright gentleman this is what i've got so far, saturday i pulled fuel injector #1 & replaced it w/ #4 cleared codes & rechecked, it was giving me error codes 201, 204, 138. so i'm thinking its a bad injector & wiring harness on #1, so i swithced them back cleared codes again and got no codes???? so i'm thinking it's definetly wiring to #1 but also maybe bad fuel injector??? drove it around today ran fine (about 8 miles), check engine light came on about 7 miles into trip (138), so is this a bad wire to an o2 sensor (how do you know if it's bad wiring on up or down stream) or a bad o2 sensor on top of the fuel injector wiring issue? any advice would help, thanks.

p.s. does anyone know where i can get a harness from on the net, i already checked ebay.

Last edited by kcigarc; 02-21-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 PM
mkov608
Amateur
Default Ok ... It's a short

Originally Posted by kcigarc
Alright gentleman this is what i've got so far, saturday i pulled fuel injector #1 & replaced it w/ #4 cleared codes & rechecked, it was giving me error codes 201, 204, 138. so i'm thinking its a bad injector & wiring harness on #1, so i swithced them back cleared codes again and got no codes???? so i'm thinking it's definetly wiring to #1 but also maybe bad fuel injector??? drove it around today ran fine (about 8 miles), check engine light came on about 7 miles into trip (138), so is this a bad wire to an o2 sensor (how do you know if it's bad wiring on up or down stream) or a bad o2 sensor on top of the fuel injector wiring issue? any advice would help, thanks.

p.s. does anyone know where i can get a harness from on the net, i already checked ebay.
I think it's safe to say you have an intermittent short in the #1 injector circuit. Use a multimeter and check each contact to ground while you shake the harness. When you get continuity, you've found your short ... fix that wire. Should save you some green.

Now for the 138 code: Have you recently attempted to ohm out the O2 sensor? If you did, you probably damaged the sensor. You can't check an O2 sensor that way. My next question is, have you altered the catalytic converter? Here's what I found on the 138 code:

Causes

A code P0138 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
  • Faulty O2 Sensor
  • Short to battery voltage in O2 sensor signal circuit
  • High fuel pressure (not as likely)
Possible Solutions

Here are some potential solutions:
  • Replace O2 sensor
  • Repair short to battery voltage in o2 sensor signal circuit

Old 02-24-2010, 08:01 PM
kcigarc
Default Never

never touched the o2 sensor, I think i'm gonna use the defouler trick for that one. also not to sound dumb but how exactly do you do a continuity test, is the car running, do i disconnect the harness & probe inside the harness or the wire before the harness??? thanks

Old 03-01-2010, 02:16 PM
kcigarc
Default Update

O.K saturday i pulled the o2 sensor & did the "defouler trick" & also hollowed out the cat, drove it (no codes) then the o2 sensor codes pops up again as i'm driving it this morning and the front side is pulling to the left hard. then all of the sudden it pops into nuetral and when i stopped to put it back into gear it just makes a rattling sound as if the gear in the tranny are lose??? WTF! any ideas? prior to this i had no tranny issues (no sliiping or anything), thanks.

Last edited by kcigarc; 03-01-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Quick Reply: new 2003 neon owner and problems