2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

new 2003 neon owner and problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:17 PM
tommyl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 2003 neon owner and problems

Hi everyone, I am new here and I git a couple of qusetions about my neon, it is a 2003 neon se that I bought about a month ago, it has alomost 110,000 miles on it and recently it has been idleing very rough, when the car is on i hooked up the obd11 reader to it and it gives me a misfire on cylinder 1, now when the car is off I get a code of P0201 which is open or shorted condition detected in control circuit for injector no. 1, Now I just replaced the plugs and wires, I did check the spark plug and it was noe getting any fuel to that cylinder, I replaced all of the injectors and still no fuel, I tested all the injector plugs and cylinders 2 3 and 4 were getting a 0.04 reading on my tester with the car off and number one was getting 0.28, now with the car on 2 3 and 4 were getting 0.28 and one was getting 0.04, I am not sure if I tested then correctly but because they were getting different reading I figured something was wrong. Now I believe I ruled out the wire harness because I eliminated tthe wires going to that injector down by the plug that goes into the pcm and put new wires in with no change at all, so I went ahead and put the old ones back in, now after a little research I seen that someone said to ground the driver wire, I did not know which one that is so I tapped in to the ground wire on the injector plug and grounded it to the battery and it made the injector activate, now I disconnected it because I believe it was just dumping fuel continuesly into the cylinder beacuse my car started to smoke and was actually putting gas out of the exhaust, now after a little more research I seen that the computer is suppose to put a pulse to the injector and not a constant flow of fuel. So I have yet to find a solution to why the injector is not getting activated or power, I also just replaced my alternator because I thought that might have been the problem beacuse every time I start the car the lights and interior lights dim in and out until i step on the gas and then it straighntens out, someone told me it may be the voltage regulator, but from what I have read it is built into the computer, now I have bought a used computer out the the same style and year of neon, but I would like a little advice before I take it to a dealer to be programmed to my car, maybe it is not the computer, maybe it is, I waas also told maybe a bad ignition controle module, but any advice would be greatley appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 09-08-2009, 01:10 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

May get a response if you make it readable. I'm done trying to decipher posts like this to try and help. (I.E.- more than just comma's thrown in at random. Actual grammar usage.)

Old 09-08-2009, 08:05 AM
tommyl

well I am sorry if I dont take time to throw in a comma at every sentence but you did not have to post a ignorant responce if you had nothing to contribute to the thread. I think my post is clearly readable other than a misspelled word here and there.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:03 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yeah, 300 words with 4 comma's. Clearly readable...

Grammar isn't ignorant. Those who refuse to use it are and can't figure out why no one wants to help are. Look at all of those replies to help you out...

Old 09-08-2009, 08:01 PM
tommyl

You no what, when someone asks for my help I am glad to help regardless of how they speak or type! Now just because you want to be ignorant, I have belonged to many forums before and still do and you are the only one ever to come out and put a person down because of how they type! If you want to be ignorant, which you are then so be it, I will help reagrdless of how a person types, and if this is how people act around here which I hope they do not, then I dont want to be apart of it, all I asked for is a little help and I get some @ss hole who is so ignorant as to not even help with the qustion I asked but to post about how I didnt use a comma or a period, well sorry I guess I will have to proof read everything I type to make sure all my commas are where they are supposed to be. As for anyone that helps, Thanks again in advance.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:40 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I wasn't putting you down. I simply said you may get more help if people don't have to spend 30 minutes trying to figure out what you are saying. I tried reading it to help you, but simply can't focus enough to try and make out one sentence from another. I mean really...is it seriously that hard to end a sentence with a period?

Also, do you happen to know what the actual definition of ignorant is? Using the word correctly, you would be the ignorant one. Here is a link to the definition of the word: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ignorant Perhaps before you get into a battle of words with someone who is apparently much more educated than you, you should have a dictionary handy. Perhaps you meant something along the lines of arrogant?

Anyways, on to the problem. It's worth saying something after all of that.

P0201 - Cylinder 1 Injector Circuit Malfunction

P0201 means that the PCM detected a fault in the injector or the wiring to the injector. It monitors the injector and when the injector is activated, the PCM expects to see the voltage pulled "low" or close to zero. When the injector is switched off, the PCM expects to see a voltage that is close to battery voltage or "high". If it doesn't see the expected voltage the PCM will set this code. The PCM also monitors resistance in the circuit. If the resistance is excessively low or high it will set this code.

The causes could be any of the following:
  • Bad injector. This is usually the cause of this code but doesn't rule out the possibility of one of the other causes.
  • Open in the wiring to the injector.
  • Short in the wiring to the injector.
  • Bad PCM.
You've checked the resistance of them along with replacing them. Unless you were unfortunate enough to get a set of bad injectors out of the box, I think the injectors themselves can be ruled out.
  1. If you have access to an injector tester, activate the injector and see if it operates. If the injector operates, then you likely have either an open in the wiring, or a blocked injector. If you do not have access to a tester, swap the injector with another one and see if the code changes. If the code changes, then change the injector.
  2. At the PCM, remove the driver wire from the PCM connector and Ground the wire (Make sure you have the correct wire. If you're not sure, do not attempt). The injector should activate.
Again, you say it was activated when you grounded it. It sounds as if the wiring is not the problem. I am not sure exactly on what controls the pulse of the injectors, but if it is the PCM (I don't know what else would), your problem may be narrowed down to that. Step 2 above is one quick check. It should be applicable to the Neon as well.

If the injectors are not the problem and you are sure the wiring is fine (no missing grounds, broken wires, etc...), it sounds like there is one thing left. I am by no means positive, but at the moment, I don't know what else to add to the list.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:53 AM
tommyl

Well thank you for your help with my problem. I kinda figured it would be the pcm since I have ruled everything else out, I am going to the dealership in the morning to get a used one programmed that I had purchased at a junk yard. I will keep you updated on what the outcome is, and again sorry for the misunderstanding, and thanks.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:59 PM
tommyl

UPDATE: So I had the pcm reflashed at a dealer today after arguing with them for about 20 minutes because they said that the pcm would not work unless it was purchased new, but I took the chance and had them flash it and it worked, But my car still has a misfire, on the way home the check engine light came on and went off, as I pulled into my driveway it came on again so I rushed to turn the car off and get the code which was a number one cylinder misfire. So I drove the car to the store after I reset the codes, but I get no check engine light, but I still have a misfire, I pulled all plugs and checcked for spark which they sll hsd good spark, but I still believe I am not getting any fuel to cylinder 1, I am totally stumped now, any help would be great thanks.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:18 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If the light is going on and off, it sounds like there is a wiring problem somewhere. Almost like a wire is grounding out and then not, and then does again. At this point, I'd personally go over every bit of wire again to make sure nothing is wrong with it...anywhere. It may be the connectors themselves at the injector or the PCM.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:04 AM
tommyl

That is kinda what I was thinking, but with the new computer it is not giving me a open or shorted injector circuit code any more, now I drove it some more last night and the check engine light did not come on, but I still have that misfire. I am gonna go over the wires today after work and maybe spray some contact cleaner in the plug at the pcm, I really dont know what else it could be.

Quick Reply: new 2003 neon owner and problems