2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

CAI vs. Short Ram

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Neon05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI vs. Short Ram

I am really looking forward to doing a bit of work on my new neon and add a few minor mods.
My question is CAI vs. Short intake....why one over the other? What is the performance difference?
I have been getting mixed reviews from the folks I ask here. I understand that water can be an issue, but from what I have read, the CAI still sits at least a foot off the ground? Is this true? Sounds like I would have to drive into a pool to cause damage.
Just looking for some comments on using one of these over the other.
By the way, I have an '05 SXT with ABS if that matters how one of these will mount. It is and will be my daily driver.
thanks.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:00 PM
lblackneon
Champion
Default RE: CAI vs. Short Ram

I have the AEM Cold Air Intake. The CAI is way better than the short ram intake. If you're concerned about water getting into your engine, get a bypass valve (which I have). The bypass valve prevents water from getting into your engine. U only have to worry about water if it's raining really hard and u just fly through a puddle of water. The short ram still sucks in hot air (since it's near the engine). W/ the CAI, it sucks in cold air (which ='s more power). Yes it's close to the ground but, it's way better.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:57 PM
seanie719
Professional

I have the k&n cai which converts to short ram too. I put it to short ram once and it did seem to have a quicker take off on my car but once I drove it more and the engine got hotter it died off. A short ram just sucks in the air under the hood which is hot. The cai sucks in colder air because it sits away from the engine. And unless you park your car over a lake I don't think you will have a problem with your engine getting locked up from water. I've drivin through plenty of rain and have had mine for about a year now and no problem. If you get the K&N it comes with a protector sleeve. Good luck in your choice.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:18 AM
GroundControl
Veteran

I had a cai and i sold it and made a short ram. I didnt notice a diffrence at all but the cai was louder. I drove threw nasty rain and puddels when my car was lowerd and didnt effect my motor at all. You can go with the by pass vale like he said. I keep hearing you need to submerge the filter in order to suck anything up. good luck

Old 04-11-2005, 02:53 AM
casper
Legend

I have been driving with my iceman CAI for a year now with no by-pass. I have put 15,000 miles on the car this year. Driven through new england rain sleet and snow, a few shallow puddles (slowly), got the front right (side with the CAI) stuck in the mud, and never had a problem. the bypass will restrict flow and be pointless other than for sound.

Quick Reply: CAI vs. Short Ram