2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:45 AM
bxd20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator?

Hi.
This is for a 2005 Neon with auto.

My friend's car has a long crank on start. Cranks good, its not the battery, but when cold it takes a long time to start. If he turns the key to on and waits a while, the pressure builds, then it starts up fast.

I tried looking for a schrader valve on the fuel rail to measure the pressure, and there wasn't one. Was it left off this car, or is it in an odd spot?

Even if I found it, it wouldn't help me know if the low fuel pressure problem was the pump or the regulator I don't think.

How do you figure this out?

From what I understand, the regulator and filter are one assembly, and easily changed from underneath the car by the gas tank?

To replace the pump, does the tank have to be lowered, and you go into the tank??

Thanks
Brian

Old 11-09-2009, 02:55 PM
neisg1
Veteran
Default Here's what the manual says.

DESCRIPTION
A combination fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator is used on all gas powered engines. It is located on the top of the fuel pump module. It contains a diaphragm, calibrated springs and a
fuel return valve. The internal fuel filter is also part of the assembly.
OPERATION
Fuel Pressure Regulator Operation: The pressure regulator is a mechanical device that is calibrated to maintain fuel system operating pressure of approximately 400 kPa ±34 kPa (58 psi ±5 psi.) at the fuel injectors. Fuel is supplied to the filter/regulator by the electric
fuel pump through an opening tube at the bottom of filter/regulator. The fuel pump module contains a check valve to maintain some fuel pressure when the engine is not operating. This will help to start the engine. If fuel pressure at the pressure regulator exceeds
approximately 58 psi, an internal diaphragm closes and excess fuel pressure is routed back into the tank through the pressure regulator.

Here's a few links that may help.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...fuel-pump.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...fuel-pump.html

Last edited by neisg1; 11-09-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:34 PM
bxd20

Thanks. Guess the tank has to come down if i'm changing the pump.

So the only question remains, do I need a pump or just a regulator? Once it starts, it runs and accelerates well. That makes me think it's not the pump.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:22 PM
neisg1
Veteran

If it runs Ok once started then it sounds like the pump check valve is leaking back and not keeping fuel primed up for quick starts.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 AM
ProNeon
Default Fuel tank / filter

Hello there,
removed and cleaned my tank, filter and pump yesterday, I have a 2001 Neon 2L.
This is what mine looks like:
http://www2.partstrain.com/store/ind...tt=Fuel%20Pump
Part number: W0133-1676452

In short, the tank needs to be lowered half way to be able to extract the filter. I want to post a "how to..." on the site, just need to find the correct spot to post it to.
Let me kniow if you need further info in the meantime... either here or at wernerp@nashuamobile.com.

Quick Reply: fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator?