2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

cold knock revisited

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:00 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cold knock revisited

In trying to address the cold knock issue that many Neon owners experience I went to the MOPAR oil filter and 5w-20 oil on moms Neon. So far the knocking is less pronounced. It's still there on most cold starts but not to the point that I am gritting my teeth when it happens. A big 7 degrees this morning and upon start up there was no immediate knocking and only slight knocking about 30 seconds into a cold idle that faded away in about another 10-15 seconds. It still seems to me to be oil flow related rather than piston slap. Now that it's cold most places what kind of luck are you guys having with this issue?

Old 12-11-2009, 01:17 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine sounds pretty much like normal. It was down to 11 here this morning and still is that temp now and it sounded like it normally does when its warmer. It has in the past sounded like a diesel truck on cold start up until it warmed up. I am running 0W-30 full synthetic now so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Before I was running 5W-30 full synthetic.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:31 PM
GEE

I too am hearing a faint knocking or clapping sound when I first start my 2000 Neon, ES, after it has been sitting over night. Once I start it, drive it , I don't hear this sound any more through-out the day. I have just installed struts, rear wheel bearings, an exhaust system, plugs and new tires. I am beginning to wonder if I should get rid of the car now before it get worst or ride it out. I have approximately 110279 miles on this car. I purchased this car at 98000 miles.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

Knocking?...clapping?

are we talking about the ticking on cold start up that it seems ALL Neons do?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:16 AM
GEE

Yes, I assume so! If first start-up for the day, like early in the morning or first start-up for the day is considered a "cold start", then yes. Is that normal?

Old 12-15-2009, 05:21 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-The only time I hear it it in mine is if the temp drops pretty low. It knocked just a little bit the other morning at start-up, but it was around 26* then. Any other time if it's warmer out, I never hear it.

L8R,
Matt

Old 12-16-2009, 05:43 PM
deranged
Record Breaker

My wifes does it when the temperature drops below 40 degrees. Not a soft knock either. It will still do it now but not for nearly as long now with the MOPAR filter and 5w-20. A lot of people have posted in the past with the same issue and many with much higher mileage on their Neons than my wifes car has (60,000) so I think the engines can survive for a long time making this racket.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:43 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-Yep. Mine was doing it when it only had 19k on it, and it does it now with 63k on it. No worse than before.

L8R,
Matt

Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 AM
deranged
Record Breaker

I have noticed something now that the temperature has turned absolutely frigid here. The Neon upon starting jumps up to fast idle (about 1200 rpm) and rarely ever makes the dreaded knock of death. Normally at start up the idle is only about 800 rpm when it's not bitterly cold out and it will knock like hell for 20-30 seconds. I think the knock is oil flow related and when the car runs at fast idle at start up it pumps enough oil to stop the knock which I am now convinced is rod noise. The 5w-20 and the MOPAR filter may be the right combination after all. IDK?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:15 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The difference between 5W30 and 5W20 isn't going to keep a car from knocking when cold; nor the filter unless it does not have an ADBV, which would cause a whole different noise. There is so much to oil weights, etc., but that isn't it. Anyways, I have seen the oil pump brought up a few times as to the explanation for the knock. I believe the recommendation was to install a high flow oil pump. There should be some threads in this forum section with more information in it as well.

Quick Reply: cold knock revisited