2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

info anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:16 AM
the18301
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face info anyone??

so i was looking around the engine the other day and found this random wire hanging on the back right of the engine its green/orange, pretty shure its just a loose ground but for what... could this somehow make an engine misfire ? i have a random misfire in my engine and have been replacing parts left and right to fix it but no luck..
ive replaced the coil,wires,plugs and camshaft sensor but no luck it still misfires ive searched the this site and other neon forums for info but got nothing. my next guess would be the timing is off but is that even possible for the belt to jump teeth?

Attached Thumbnails info anyone??-_012010_0929a.jpg   info anyone??-_012010_0929b.jpg  
Old 01-20-2010, 11:32 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The DG/OR wire in the middle spot should be the automatic shut down relay output.

AUTOMATIC SHUT DOWN RELAY DESCRIPTION
The ASD relay is located in the PDC (Fig. 1). The inside top of the PDC cover has label showing relay and fuse identification.

OPERATION
The Automatic Shutdown (ASD) relay supplies battery voltage to the fuel injectors, electronic ignition coil and the heating elements in the oxygen sensors. A buss bar in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) supplies voltage to the solenoid side and contact side of the relay. The fuse also protects the power circuit for the fuel pump relay and pump. The fuse is located in the PDC. Refer to the Wiring Diagrams for circuit information.

The PCM controls the ASD relay by switching the ground path for the solenoid side of the relay on and off. The PCM turns the ground path off when the ignition switch is in the Off position. When the ignition switch is in On or Start, the PCM monitors the crankshaft and camshaft position sensor signals to determine engine speed and ignition timing (coil dwell). If the PCM does not receive crankshaft and camshaft position sensor signals when the ignition switch is in the Run position, it will de-energize the ASD relay.

I don't have access to the engine right now to find out where exactly it connects, but that should be what it is anyways. I looked through the shop manual and it I can't find exactly where it runs to, but it does look like it should connect somewhere near the camshaft sensor on the right side of the engine (driver side).

Last edited by darthroush; 01-20-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:48 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I found this in a different manual, then added some color. I would guess that it connects onto or near the fuel rail? There is a very good possibility, obviously, that it could cause problems --> misfires. I'm surprised you didn't notice the loose wire when replacing the coil.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The wire is for the noise suppressor. Should be mounted on the rear of the valve cover.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:17 PM
the18301

would you happen to have a picture? i cant even find a picture using google i looked under my hood and found nothing .if its supposed to be where you said, it has to be missing completely. of course i dont even really know what it looks like, just an idea of it so if anyone has a pic to share please do.
Originally Posted by Tizzy1
The wire is for the noise suppressor. Should be mounted on the rear of the valve cover.
i

Old 01-21-2010, 01:50 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It's just a little square. These are the best I can do ATM since it's dark outside. Nevermind the painter's tape around the battery either, lol, another problem I've yet to find time to fix. You can see the connector and where it plugs to in the middle of the second picture.

Front side:

Back side from the driver's side:

Old 01-21-2010, 04:58 PM
the18301

yeah thats definately missing from my engine i dont even have a heat sheild on my headers lol whoever had my car before really hacked away at it. do you think a used one from a yard would be ok to throw on there? i cant really seem to find a new one online anywhere...
Originally Posted by darthroush
It's just a little square. These are the best I can do ATM since it's dark outside. Nevermind the painter's tape around the battery either, lol, another problem I've yet to find time to fix. You can see the connector and where it plugs to in the middle of the second picture.

Front side:

Back side from the driver's side:

Old 01-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a noise suppressor for the audio system. If you don't have radio noise, just make sure it's not shorting out on something and don't worry about it.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:32 PM
the18301

well if its only for the sound system its fine, my sound is good in the car. of course now i'm back to not knowing where to go next with thismisfir problem i just pulled codes they were.
p0300-engine misfire detected
p0304-cylinder 4 misfire
i pulled the plug on cylinder 4 the tip was white so it has to be lean....any ideas?
Originally Posted by Tizzy1
It's a noise suppressor for the audio system. If you don't have radio noise, just make sure it's not shorting out on something and don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: info anyone??