2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Neon performance potential

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Isakill
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, i've been thinking on this for a couple days. And I have to disagree with you darthroush.
My reason is this. If you turbo out a "econo box" you're likely to make the air/fuel go lean and eventually kill the pistons. "Chipping" has it's place in performance no matter what people think of it. Chipping changes the fuel maps and can compensate more for a turbo'd car. Also they remove the governor so that the spark isn't retarded when you hit a certain speed. Example, my car I can cruise all day at 80. the second I hit 90.. I can't go any further. Even though it's right at the peak of the power curve.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:38 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Isakill
Ok, i've been thinking on this for a couple days. And I have to disagree with you darthroush.
My reason is this. If you turbo out a "econo box" you're likely to make the air/fuel go lean and eventually kill the pistons. "Chipping" has it's place in performance no matter what people think of it. Chipping changes the fuel maps and can compensate more for a turbo'd car. Also they remove the governor so that the spark isn't retarded when you hit a certain speed. Example, my car I can cruise all day at 80. the second I hit 90.. I can't go any further. Even though it's right at the peak of the power curve.
Fair enough.

To answer the first part about the A/F, that is why you absolutely, must tune the car. Ever heard of dyno tuning? That is the whole purpose of having to have a new computer system in a Neon when you go that route because you cannot change the factory computer (why chips won't work). It allows you to tune the computer and make the A/F ratio safe. You cannot, on ANY car, simply slap a turbo or supercharger on there with the factory computer/settings and drive it around forever, Neon or not. It must be tuned. Besides, you are more likely to run into the problem of the car running rich instead of lean.

Chipping, as you put it, is not the same as tuning either. I have a programmer for my Mustang. I'm well aware of what they do. They are simply "safe" changes to the computer system. For example, the tune I chose requires me to run minimum 91 octane as it changed the timing amongst other things. If you took the same car, simply for having an exact control to the experiment, and did a dyno pull with it, one run using a chip/programmer and another having been dyno tuned...the one that has been dyno tuned will outperform. This of course, is providing the tuner knows what they are doing. An engine can very, very easily be destroyed by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I know many people that have had this happen. However, the people who do know what they are doing can do incredible things. For example, again, the factory 2V Mustang engine is typically known to be able to handle about 415RWHP on the stock bottom end. I know people who above this amount and due to the fantastic job the tuner did, and their cars are going strong.

In no way was I suggesting just buying a turbo kit, installing it, and then not have another care in the world.

To the last statement, I hit a tad over 110 or 120MPH in my 2001. Can't remember exactly as it has been some time since then. I went ~100MPH the other day in my current 2003. I have no idea why you can't go past 90 in your car, but I'm not leaning towards the factory computer being the problem, and therefore the timing retard.

Curious on your thoughts...

Old 04-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Isakill
Professional

Originally Posted by darthroush
Fair enough.

To answer the first part about the A/F, that is why you absolutely, must tune the car. Ever heard of dyno tuning? That is the whole purpose of having to have a new computer system in a Neon when you go that route because you cannot change the factory computer (why chips won't work). It allows you to tune the computer and make the A/F ratio safe. You cannot, on ANY car, simply slap a turbo or supercharger on there with the factory computer/settings and drive it around forever, Neon or not. It must be tuned. Besides, you are more likely to run into the problem of the car running rich instead of lean.
Yes, i've heard of dyno tuning, but without access to such facilities I know nothing of the process other than what i've seen in videos on NA non-computerized vehicles. I'm sure that's an apples to oranges comparison. Honestly I don't see a Dyno tuner doing anything to computers on a car. Maybe modding small parts in moderation. Like new exhaust, throttle body ect. You can change the stock computer in a car. Basically they take out the stock a/f map and install a re-mapped chip in it's place. Or if it can be done re-flash the a/f map. Like in your programmer. As for the rich instead of lean. I've heard the contrary much more than anything else. It either works at low boosts or melts pistons.

Chipping, as you put it, is not the same as tuning either. I have a programmer for my Mustang. I'm well aware of what they do. They are simply "safe" changes to the computer system. For example, the tune I chose requires me to run minimum 91 octane as it changed the timing amongst other things. If you took the same car, simply for having an exact control to the experiment, and did a dyno pull with it, one run using a chip/programmer and another having been dyno tuned...the one that has been dyno tuned will outperform. This of course, is providing the tuner knows what they are doing. An engine can very, very easily be destroyed by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I know many people that have had this happen. However, the people who do know what they are doing can do incredible things. For example, again, the factory 2V Mustang engine is typically known to be able to handle about 415RWHP on the stock bottom end. I know people who above this amount and due to the fantastic job the tuner did, and their cars are going strong.
Well, comparing your mustang to a neon is a little bit unfair. I shouldn't have to give my thoughts on this. Mustangs especially later years (96 and up) are meant to be tuneable beasts. That's why they all pretty much AFAIK have the same exact computer with that modular engine. Course that engine went into Crown Vics, Lightnings, GT's (quite wilder though), Marauders, Thunderbirds, and of course the Mustang GT. I do believe those engines can handle much more than 415 RWHP.

In no way was I suggesting just buying a turbo kit, installing it, and then not have another care in the world.
Didn't say you did. I'm sure you're much more knowledgeable than I am.

To the last statement, I hit a tad over 110 or 120MPH in my 2001. Can't remember exactly as it has been some time since then. I went ~100MPH the other day in my current 2003. I have no idea why you can't go past 90 in your car, but I'm not leaning towards the factory computer being the problem, and therefore the timing retard.
Curious on your thoughts...
I'll take a video the next time I'm on my way to work. I honestly can't understand it. it's like it quits having any power once it hits 90.
But I can climb mountains all day long at anything under.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:24 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Isakill
Yes, i've heard of dyno tuning, but without access to such facilities I know nothing of the process other than what i've seen in videos on NA non-computerized vehicles. I'm sure that's an apples to oranges comparison. Honestly I don't see a Dyno tuner doing anything to computers on a car. Maybe modding small parts in moderation. Like new exhaust, throttle body ect. You can change the stock computer in a car. Basically they take out the stock a/f map and install a re-mapped chip in it's place. Or if it can be done re-flash the a/f map. Like in your programmer. As for the rich instead of lean. I've heard the contrary much more than anything else. It either works at low boosts or melts pistons.
They have to do something to the computer on a car. How else would they tune it? You can't tune a throttle body. Generally, too, you don't need to retune the computer for an exhaust or intake; stuff like that. You take the programmer with you and they use that in conjunction with the dyno and the A/F readout to make changes to the computer using the programmer. For example, mine has fuel tables, fuel points, timing adjustment points, timing tables and so on. Rich, lean, doesn't matter. I've always thought it was rich, but it could very well be lean. I don't have F.I., so it's not something I read up on regularly. I just see bits and pieces here and there . Either way, bad.
Well, comparing your mustang to a neon is a little bit unfair. I shouldn't have to give my thoughts on this. Mustangs especially later years (96 and up) are meant to be tuneable beasts. That's why they all pretty much AFAIK have the same exact computer with that modular engine. Course that engine went into Crown Vics, Lightnings, GT's (quite wilder though), Marauders, Thunderbirds, and of course the Mustang GT. I do believe those engines can handle much more than 415 RWHP.
I understand it's "unfair." I just did it for examples sake. They can handle more...providing the tune is well done. That is just generally the max as the crank HP is more, and where the problem actually lies. Some engines won't take the 415...
Didn't say you did. I'm sure you're much more knowledgeable than I am.
I was just saying for clarification
I'll take a video the next time I'm on my way to work. I honestly can't understand it. it's like it quits having any power once it hits 90.
But I can climb mountains all day long at anything under.
Interesting enough. I'll be looking for it.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all of the so called chips for neons simply "trick" the stock computer... when running a turbo car, u can not just throw on a turbo and be done... if u do the stock computer will lean out and shut the car off.... when u run something like a rising rate fuel reg u still infact need a part called a map clamp... they are needed to still trick the ecu in not seeing boost.... without one the stock computer will see boost and flip out, shutting the car down yet again....

if u run something like a megasquirt u have COMPLETE control over fuel maps, and timing, exc. megasquirt is honeslty easy to work with along with a very good performance mod for anyones car...

i am not pushing ms, but i have been there and done that with the performance end of these cars... a rising rate is a PITA, keeping constant base pressure is always a problem.....

Old 04-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Isakill
Professional

Yes, I know of these "intercept" modules. I also understand how they work. But, due to the schedule of this car's use I can't take it down for any amount of time other than maybe a couple hours a week. so unfortunately there's no Megasquirt install in it's forseeable future.

Quick Reply: Neon performance potential