2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

hydrolic clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Frei0181
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydrolic clutch problem

The problem is that the clutch is not engaging when changing into any gears, I can feel just a little bit of pressure on the pedal, but not enough. I talked to a few people and they said that there might be air in the lines with the clutch fluid. If that sounds like what it is, then would I need to bleed or replced the fluid, and how would I do that.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:29 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Default RE: hydrolic clutch problem

Well first off you dont bleed it...its more than likely contaminated or has worn down enough to affect it. You need to drain it from the transaxle itself. It should be on the bottom or the side...Go to the dealer to find the weight of gear oil your supposed to use. And as a precautionary measure replace fluid 10 -15000 miles. At least thats what I did to my nismo. Nothing really uses clutch cylinders anymore so its not that big a deal but more than likely your pressure plate fingers are worn and your disc as well. Go resurface your flywheel and buy a new clutch. My altima had clutch pedal pressure but doesnt mean anything when your forcing it into gear and its not going its a sure fire sign that your gears are worn...But with your symptoms its the pressure plate going first. if you pull it out they will be caved or scortched on the fingers. Hope this helps.

Old 05-15-2005, 04:39 AM
ewetho
All Star

First off you can generall bleed a hydraulic clutch much like a brake cylinder. Howver they generally fail to disengage a clutch not prevet it from reengaging. So if the problem is you cannot press the clutch and disengage it and freely shift the gears and the let go of the clutch pedal and and have it bite. Well then you may indeed have to bleed your clutch. If it seems to slip all the time you probably need a clutch.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:09 PM
mechengineer201
Rookie

First off, there is no need to replace your transaxle fluid.......this has nothing to with the clutch operation. Second, what kind of car do you have? If you have a 2nd gen, there is a small set screw in the slave cylinder that can be removed to gravity bleed the clutch hydraulics. Third, how did air get in your lines if that is the problem? It just doesn't magically appear. Most likely there isn't air but more likely an internal leak in the hydraulics. Bottom line, something is leaking if you haven't taken anything appart so as to introduce air into the system or to let hydraulic fluid go where its not supposed to. Ask yourself all these questions and then start looking for answers. First off give a visual check to the clutch master and slave cylinders and the lines and make sure there are no external leaks. Check your fluid resevoir to see how much is in there and check the cap for cracks. If everything looks good, have somebody sit in the car and work the clutch. Watch the motion of the rod on the slave cylinder and see how it moves. If it seems to move and then stop before the clutch is fully disengaged, it is the hydraulics that are the problem. Seen as how there is no where for the fluid to go when it is in the slave cylinder except to leak out or go back to master cylinder and to the resevoir, it is most likely a faulty master cylinder but you could try bleeding and see if it works before going out and buying a new MC. If fluid is squirting out of the slave, which you should have seen by a visual inspect before, then it is the slave that is faulty. There is also a quick disconnect fitting in the line somewhere on the tranny near the slave, make sure this is dry. Now if all the hydraulics are good, then there is the possibility that the pressure plate is faulty and in such a case replace the whole clutch/pressure plate/flywheel assembly, these are modular units on the 2nd gens and make sure to replace the throw-out bearing too. Dont get a clutch from DC, they suck, to say the least. If you want a decent stock replacement, try clutch masters - the stock replacement they have is cheaper and far better than anything from chrysler.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:23 PM
masoniac

Not sure, but it sounds like I have a similar problem. I own a 2000 2.0 4 cylinder Dodge Neon. Whenever I press the clutch, I hear a small whining noise. Also, whenever I am at a stand-still andpress the clutch, I have problems putting the car into first gear. Often times I have to release and then re-press the clutch in order to put the car in first gear. Sometimes I even have to use "excessive" force to get it into first.
For the whining noise, I am suspecting that the master and/or the slave cylinder need to be replaced. However, for the problem relating to putting the car into first gear, I am not sure what to do.
What do you think? Any suggestions?

ORIGINAL: mechengineer201

First off, there is no need to replace your transaxle fluid.......this has nothing to with the clutch operation. Second, what kind of car do you have? If you have a 2nd gen, there is a small set screw in the slave cylinder that can be removed to gravity bleed the clutch hydraulics. Third, how did air get in your lines if that is the problem? It just doesn't magically appear. Most likely there isn't air but more likely an internal leak in the hydraulics. Bottom line, something is leaking if you haven't taken anything appart so as to introduce air into the system or to let hydraulic fluid go where its not supposed to. Ask yourself all these questions and then start looking for answers. First off give a visual check to the clutch master and slave cylinders and the lines and make sure there are no external leaks. Check your fluid resevoir to see how much is in there and check the cap for cracks. If everything looks good, have somebody sit in the car and work the clutch. Watch the motion of the rod on the slave cylinder and see how it moves. If it seems to move and then stop before the clutch is fully disengaged, it is the hydraulics that are the problem. Seen as how there is no where for the fluid to go when it is in the slave cylinder except to leak out or go back to master cylinder and to the resevoir, it is most likely a faulty master cylinder but you could try bleeding and see if it works before going out and buying a new MC. If fluid is squirting out of the slave, which you should have seen by a visual inspect before, then it is the slave that is faulty. There is also a quick disconnect fitting in the line somewhere on the tranny near the slave, make sure this is dry. Now if all the hydraulics are good, then there is the possibility that the pressure plate is faulty and in such a case replace the whole clutch/pressure plate/flywheel assembly, these are modular units on the 2nd gens and make sure to replace the throw-out bearing too. Dont get a clutch from DC, they suck, to say the least. If you want a decent stock replacement, try clutch masters - the stock replacement they have is cheaper and far better than anything from chrysler.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:24 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

have you tried replacing the fluid and bleeding the whole system?

Old 04-24-2007, 07:37 PM
tooslow
Veteran

first off lol lol

here is what is what I would do is lay under the car while some one (mom g/f ect) press on the clutch see if the it is actally pushing the the lever thingy too disengage the clutch if it does then you know it is most brobly the clutch and not hydrolics

oh and if your car is 2000 it has cable not hydrolic system so no bleeding

Old 04-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Biged83
Captain

ORIGINAL: tooslow

first off lol lol

here is what is what I would do is lay under the car while some one (mom g/f ect) press on the clutch see if the it is actally pushing the the lever thingy too disengage the clutch if it does then you know it is most brobly the clutch and not hydrolics

Old 04-25-2007, 01:38 PM
masoniac

Thanks for replying...

ORIGINAL: spikeymikey87

have you tried replacing the fluid and bleeding the whole system?
No, haven't triedyet. That would have been my first step, as it is the least expensive.

ORIGINAL: tooslow

first off lol lol

What lever thingy? What is it called?Btw. the Neon is a 2000 and the clutch is hydraulic.

Quick Reply: hydrolic clutch problem