2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Unexplained Vibrating.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:18 AM
MommaT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unexplained Vibrating.....

Ok so here is the deal my 02' ES is vibrating like she runs on AA's
Ive replaced the motor mounts after being told that was the issue when in all actuality it wasnt... Then thought maybe my other mount for my tranny was loose.... still not the issue So I thought maybe Ive got a bad pulg and im misfiring.... HAHA guess what STILL not the issue. It vibrates at an idle, in motion, and when it hits the kick down going up hill it gets worse its in the steering wheel, pedals, and even knocked my rearview mirror off its mount.... Im at a complete loss of what the problem could possibly be! Any ideas for me?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Sounds like you may have more than one problem. When you changed the mounts did you make sure you aligned them?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:00 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In addition to the torque struts, has the actual motor mount been replaced?

Old 06-17-2010, 12:35 AM
MommaT

The mounts were put in to the specs and ones I pulled off still had ALL the rubber so that wasnt even the issue when it started....

and....

The 'actual motor mount'? Whay do you mean 'actual motor mount'? I replaced all 4 mounts

Old 06-17-2010, 01:14 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by MommaT

The 'actual motor mount'? Whay do you mean 'actual motor mount'? I replaced all 4 mounts
People call the torque struts the motor mounts. They aren't motor mounts. I was just asking if the actual motor mount was replaced and not just the torque struts.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:52 AM
MommaT

Ok Im looking and I have no clue what other mount you are talking about.... Where is it? I realize I may sound dumb but Im so lost now..... My mechanic even refered to those as my motor mounts (at dodge)

Old 06-17-2010, 03:17 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Those are the silver, bar looking things on the passenger side of the engine bay, at the top and bottom of the engine.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 AM
houndog97
Rookie

I just had mine done and it's a big job don't let anyone else tell you different ! The main mount is tough to get to and my mechanic actually wanted more money to do it. It's simple it's 2 motor mounts (left and right) and the torque struts that prevent engine from going up and down and they (the torque struts ) should be adjusted . The grinding noise on turns in my car turned out to be the lower torque strut. It cost just over 300 dollars for all 4.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

The actual "motor mount" is located mid engine right about in the middle of your wheel well on the passenger side. It's not very fun to get to at all. There is a pretty easy test to see if your mounts are bad if you can't tell by just looking at them.

If the problem is a rotation in your steering wheel I.E., your steering wheel shaking when driving. Then it is usually unbalanced wheels, bent rims, bad CVS..

Put your car in Neutral when you experience vibrating, and if the vibration continues then it is not your engine. If the vibration stops then it is engine related.

Last edited by Moparkyle; 06-17-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: More info
Old 06-17-2010, 03:14 PM
kingttx

I had some pretty bad vibrations on my '04 Neon. At first, when the car would come off a speed bump, there was a big THUNK. Soon, it started vibrating when I would accelerate, then it started vibrating all the time.

My mechanic had to pull the motor away from the tire well to get to the motor mount. There may be an easier way to do it, but it's wedged down in there. When he finally got it out, the entire rubber grommet (lack of a better term) had broken off the outer ring so the bolt that attached to the engine was hitting the outer ring.

If your mechanic indeed replaced that mount, I'd look elsewhere for the problem.

Quick Reply: Unexplained Vibrating.....