2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2002 SXT auto tranny has no go...codes are...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 02:33 PM
briann510
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 SXT auto tranny has no go...codes are...

Driving and car suddenly went into neutral coasting mode. Got the car home having to coast to a stop many times and then trans would catch and get me another couple hundred yards and then go into coast mode again the whole timing making a very loud whining noise.

Codes are PO700,731,732,733,734 and 846.

I replaced the transmission shift solenoid for code 846 hoping this might be the problem but it did not fix the problem. Still random nothing but neutral in any gear then it would catch and back to neutral...

So.....tranny wasted? Torque converter?

Cars got 95,000 on it so im not really gonna dump a bunch of money in it as I feel the car isnt worth the hassle with that many miles on it.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:53 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like it could be the pump. I don't know that a bad T/C would cause incorrect gear ratios in the transmission though...

Old 07-05-2010, 02:58 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Yeah sounds like the pump had the same thing with my sxt and shes a 04 with 180,000 miles and still putting money in shes way worth keeping up with 95,000 miles I would try the pump .

Old 07-05-2010, 03:14 PM
briann510
Rookie

It sounds like the pump for sure almost like its losing its prime. If I turn car off for a mion and restart trans works and then begins whining after 20 seconds and trans wont work. Shut it off again and restart and same thing works for 20 seconds and back to nothing.

I havnt taken pan off yet (I actually couldnt get the pan off and thought I was gonna break something trying to pry it off) to see what filter looks like as fluid/filter has never been changed in 95K miles so maybe its clogged?.

If its the pump itself mine as well do a complete trans rebuild while in there.

Last edited by briann510; 07-05-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:51 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by briann510
I havnt taken pan off yet (I actually couldnt get the pan off and thought I was gonna break something trying to pry it off) to see what filter looks like as fluid/filter has never been changed in 95K miles so maybe its clogged?.
That sure isn't going to have helped the situation. The majority of the time, a fluid and filter change will fix a lot of problems. Sounds like, at minimum, a fluid and filter change is in order. I would perform a proper flush as well (i.e.- not a machine flush that every shop loves to do).

If its the pump itself mine as well do a complete trans rebuild while in there.
If you don't want to dump a lot of money into the car, this is perhaps the most incorrect statement you can make (unless you plan on doing it yourself). The electronic transmissions, at a shop, cost about $2,500-$3,500 to rebuild. Just fix what is broken.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:45 PM
briann510
Rookie

Ill get that pan off tomorrow and fluid change and filter. How many qts does pan only hold?

Thanks for the help guys...

Oh a couple new codes came up this go round a 841 and now a 992? 992 code is a pressure switch failure and thats what I just replaced so maybe I got a short somewhere or maybe theres probably more than 1 pressure switch.

Dodge dealer said for $125 they will diagnose it and let me know exactly what it needs or has happened. Might be easier to let them do initial diagnostics.

Last edited by briann510; 07-05-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:37 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The shop manual says "Automatic Transaxle - Estimated Service Fill: 4.0 qts." Make sure you get Chrysler approved ATF+4 fluid too. I bought SuperTech ATF+4 (says it meets the requirement on the back) to mix with my NAPA ATF+4 (relabeled Valvoline, but cheaper).

As for the 992 pressure switch code, possible causes are:
> Pressure switch sense circuit shorted to battery
between PCM and solenoid pack.
> Low line pressure
> Solenoid/Pressure Switch assembly

841 possible causes:
> If code P0944(35) is present, ignore code
P0841(24) and perform code P0944(35) diagnostic
procedures
> LR pressure switch sense circuit, open or
shorted to ground between PCM and solenoid
pack
> LR pressure switch sense circuit shorted to
battery
> Solenoid/Pressure Switch assembly
> Valve body - solenoid switch valve stuck in
LU position. May be accompanied by a code
P1775(37)
> Loose valve body bolts
> Plugged filter - internal transmission or
torque converter failure
> PCM

The valve bodies seem to be **** on Dodge's, so that is a possibility. You may want to try some CRC Contact Cleaner, clean all connections, and make sure the are all connected and seated properly. That will be cheaper and easier than replacing the valve body "just to check."

I say, right now, stick with the fluid and filter change, then clean all connectors, reset everything and see what happens.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:45 AM
briann510
Rookie

Thanks for your help and replies. I will remove all connectors to tranny and clean em up.
Im really hoping for a clogged filter but that loud whine is coming right under where fluid pump would be. Whine comes and goes but no whine as soon as car is started then iot gets bad and goes away and thats when all gears are lost to neutral...

Ive seen a few used trans around here going for $600-1K. I guess the blue book is still up there around 5K so just not sure what I wanna do just yet if its major issue. If it were my car and not daughters id throw a 5 speed in it but she wont go for that...

I see you are in Ncalifornia? What area? If I dont wanna do the tranny swap I might be looking for someone in Ncal area to do it for me.

Last edited by briann510; 07-06-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:55 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm about 45 minutes SE of Sacramento. If you end up pulling the transmission, speaking from experience, it may be a good time to replace lower control arm bushings, ball joints and outer tie rods ends, depending on their condition. It's all going to come off anyways and you'll need a realignment after. Might as well just do it once. Just a thought.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:11 AM
briann510
Rookie

I just replaced all front end suspension stuff last year and did the timing belt/water pump this year when my center mount went bad and had to remove the timing cover then anyway. Engine has 95K and uses very little oil so its a great little car with nothing really ever gone wrong with it until now with trans.

Quick Reply: 2002 SXT auto tranny has no go...codes are...