2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Couple of problems, NEED HELP & Don't know what to do!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:29 PM
Jaspar67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of problems, NEED HELP & Don't know what to do!

So, last year I bought a 2003 Dodge Neon SXT...when you accelerate the engine tends to sound louder than normal and sort of make the whole car vibrate. I've asked around and some people think that I may just need to replace the motor mounts and that would solve the problem...any truth to that?

My next problem, is when I start the car, if the AC is on the car will just shut off unexpectedly. If not, it tends to be fine, but then when I start going after a cold start, it's like the engine loses power b/c I can step on the pedal and it doesn't rev up the engine and go, it just continues to drop. I'm not sure but does this sound like a vacuum leak and if so, how do you fix that?

My last problem is the fact that when I'm stopping at a stop sign, a light or in stop and go traffic on the highway, sometimes I'll idle so low that it sits around 500 RPM's and my check oil light comes on...I constantly check my oil level when I fill up gas, and it's always fine, but I can't seem to figure this one out. Any suggestions?

After buy the car, I replaced the spark plugs to platinum tip plugs, wires, fuel filter, both upstream and downstream O2 Sensors (and yet I still get P0132 even after I replaced the sensors). I've done pretty much a tune-up with a friend so that saved me money, but I'm still learning and am looking for any help I can get. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:57 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaspar67
So, last year I bought a 2003 Dodge Neon SXT...when you accelerate the engine tends to sound louder than normal and sort of make the whole car vibrate. I've asked around and some people think that I may just need to replace the motor mounts and that would solve the problem...any truth to that?
Could be. They go bad on these cars pretty easily.

My next problem, is when I start the car, if the AC is on the car will just shut off unexpectedly. If not, it tends to be fine, but then when I start going after a cold start, it's like the engine loses power b/c I can step on the pedal and it doesn't rev up the engine and go, it just continues to drop. I'm not sure but does this sound like a vacuum leak and if so, how do you fix that?
If it's a vacuum leak, you fix the leak. Plug the hole, buy a new line, make a new line...

My last problem is the fact that when I'm stopping at a stop sign, a light or in stop and go traffic on the highway, sometimes I'll idle so low that it sits around 500 RPM's and my check oil light comes on...I constantly check my oil level when I fill up gas, and it's always fine, but I can't seem to figure this one out. Any suggestions?
The oil pressure sensors go bad on these often too. A new one is around $12. Low idle RPM- more a Neon thing than something being wrong.

After buy the car, I replaced the spark plugs to platinum tip plugs, wires, fuel filter, both upstream and downstream O2 Sensors (and yet I still get P0132 even after I replaced the sensors). I've done pretty much a tune-up with a friend so that saved me money, but I'm still learning and am looking for any help I can get. Thanks in advance!
Get rid of the platinum tips and get a set of copper plugs. P0132 doesn't mean a bad O2 sensor, but incorrect voltage. Check the wiring for any breaks or grounding out, etc...

Old 07-21-2010, 09:51 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Yeah I would check your motor mounts and my 04 sxt does the same thing with the oil light just keep on forgetting to go get a oil sensor replacement and yeah go with copper plugs to be safe . I had no problem with the platinum tipped plugs when I ran them in my sxt.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:37 PM
redsl
Rookie

It is your center motor mount passenger side of car. it is a job to replace it but it will get rid of the loud engine noise and the vibrations. If you want to be real sure take a block of wood and jack up the car under the oil pan. When I say jack it up I meana couple of pumps. watch engine when it comes up about an inch or so that's good. start the car and see if noise went away. if so its the center mount.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:41 AM
Mohunter

Just changing the upper and lower motor mount won't do it, you need a qualified shop or individual to change the inner motor mount, the one that's in the right wheel well. Otherwise, it will keep eating the upper and lower mounts. I've been there and done that. That will take care of the vibration you are experiencing. Sorry to say that you have to have all 3 replaced at the same time because it will only cause you grief further down the road. I feel your pain, and I went through it myself. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Couple of problems, NEED HELP & Don't know what to do!