2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Under Drive Pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 05:23 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under Drive Pulley?

Does anyone here have one? Just wondering if it is worth it for starting the process of upgrading. I saw on ModernPerformance they have one for $107 and includes the belts. They also have one for $211.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:59 PM
nippondrifterae111
Professional
Default RE: Under Drive Pulley?

they will give u performance, and if u get a underdrive pully, get a cam gear too, it will make a big difference, then cold air intake, spark plugs iridiums, and get a pro to install the pully and cams.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:18 AM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

They are that hard to install?

Old 05-24-2005, 01:36 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Cam gears? What difference are cam gears goin to make on a stock cam? Maybe lighter makes for gains but I dont see it.....gears are already small....Ive got em on my car but dont see the significance.....

Old 05-24-2005, 01:41 AM
whoosh
Champion

if you get hot cams they will, with the tuning aspect of it....

Old 05-24-2005, 01:58 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i definately wouldnt bother changing the cam gear on the stock cam to an adjustable one. just flat out not worth it. figure, not only will you pay for the gear, but youll wanna tune it at the dyno as well, so figure roughly $100/hr there..

an underdrive pulley is definately worth it. id just go with the cheaper one, the MPx on modernperformance.. its a good pulley. easy to take off if you ever need to, and provides some decent gains. sure its not designed as nicely as say the Unorthodox Racing one, but it costs a heck of a lot less.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:00 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Like someone else said what is the point of cam gear on a stock cam? Tech, from what I've read about them you'll see a slight gain. Nothing huge. I seem to recall you need something to pull the stock pulley.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:49 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

Thanks all, I wasn't looking into the cam, just the pulley. I belive there is a special tool to pull the pulley. If I am correct, not too expensive. Looks like 3 prongs coming out.

Old 05-24-2005, 03:33 PM
lblackneon
Champion

ORIGINAL: nippondrifterae111

they will give u performance, and if u get a underdrive pully, get a cam gear too, it will make a big difference, then cold air intake, spark plugs iridiums, and get a pro to install the pully and cams.
What? Those are in 2 different locations. U don't have to raise the engine to get to the underdrive pulley like the cam job. To get to the underdrive pulley I think u have to take the tire off then the wall that goes around the tire; then do additional work. I got my underdrive pulley installed at the Dodge dealership. When u get a cam, u have to take the cam gear off to reach the cam (that is the perfect time to do it). It would also be convenient to change your water pump and timing belt if u have to.

I have the AFX underdrive pulley from Howell Automotive (which is like the 211 dollar Unorthodox underdrive pulley at Modern performance). Yes that is the best one. The underdrive pulley was the first thing I put on my car. The most noticeable difference was the increase in power of the car with the AC on verse how the car was stock with the AC on. U wont really feel much of a difference except the noticable difference I told u about the AC. I've read reviews on the underdrive pulley on Howell's site and everyone claims they feel a difference in power. It is well worth the money though. This product will increase your hp/free up hp. It reduces the power lost to the accessories.

Unorthodox pulley enables accessories to run at a speed such that they do not have as big of an effect on the engine while at the same time making your Neon's accessories last longer.

Here's a dyno result:
http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx/neundyno.shtml

These are some reviews:
http://www.howellautomotive.com/Howe...roducts_id=223
Check their website out.

Old 05-24-2005, 03:34 PM
lblackneon
Champion

ORIGINAL: techmanbd

Thanks all, I wasn't looking into the cam, just the pulley. I belive there is a special tool to pull the pulley. If I am correct, not too expensive. Looks like 3 prongs coming out.
Yeah; there is a special tool.

Quick Reply: Under Drive Pulley?