2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

A/C Question.. No Clue who's right

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Murph sx2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Question.. Need help please

Hello;
I noticed that my A/C was progressively getting less efficient to the point where is almost completely stopped working. I decided to get it fixed at a local garage. The a/c "tech" said yeah, common thing, likely only needs a re-charge which he proceeded to do. While he was re-charging, it sounded as if the compressor was engaging and disengaging every 10 seconds or so. The tech said no need to continue, you need a compessor. He also said "you don't want to know how much" when asked and said he would price and get back to me.. I aksed another person at a local garage for a second opinion, they really wouldn't offer one w/o seeing the car and me spending another $110 for the charge/diagnose and their A/C service..
What way would you go? would you spend the money for a second opinion ? Is there another likely cause that I can check? a friend of mine mentioned there is some type of switch that might cause this?
as always, Many, many thanks for any advice you can provide..

Last edited by Murph sx2; 08-03-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it is the compressor, tell the shop you just want them to replace it (i.e.- you KNOW that is the problem). I'm sure you can find a how-to on Google on how to test it...

Old 08-11-2010, 10:41 PM
redsl
Rookie

If it cycles that often and you know for sure that it is charged properly then it could be the high or low pressure switch. The high pressure switch is on the compressor and the low pressure switch is on or under the accumulator by the firewall. If the clutch is spinning most likely the compressor is good, just may be low on freon. That will do it also. There is also a relay under in the fuse box that control the clutch on the compressor, you may want to check that and replace it also.

Last edited by redsl; 08-11-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Isakill
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to your local autoparts store, Target or even wal-mart.
They sell some "recharge" kits that is just a can of Freon with a gauge.
15 bucks is a lot better than 100+ to diagnose a possible non-issue.
I bought one and already it's paid for itself because my lines were completely empty.

The following users liked this post:
Dirtywerk (05-30-2022)
Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 PM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

Not sure if I could help you diagnose it but if it ends up being the compressor shot me a PM and I will hook you up with one, for WAY cheaper then new.

Quick Reply: A/C Question.. No Clue who's right