2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

00 neon sputtered, then shut down and now notthing at all.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Moparkyle
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People think Honda's are invincible.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Isakill
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darthroush
Good question. Places are handing out those battery powered keys like candy. One place up here tried to sell me one of those the other week.
I can't stand them.. on a businessman's side it's genius.. completely disposable and high margin of customer returns.
Consumers though are out a lot of money replacing the stinking things.
I personally wouldn't sell them if I had the equipment.
Call it karma or conscious. I can't do that to people.

But seeing the OP is selling their Neon that they obviously abused.

Last edited by Isakill; 08-11-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Isakill
I can't stand them.. on a businessman's side it's genius.. completely disposable and high margin of customer returns.
Consumers though are out a lot of money replacing the stinking things.
Absolutely.

I asked the guy, just because, "How long do those batteries last?" "Umm, about 4-5 years." "So, what do I do when I'm out in the middle of nowhere and the battery in my key dies?" "Umm, I don't know."

I asked if I bought a regular transponder key, could they program it. "I don't know, it says you need a battery powered key. Let me see yours." *He looks at mine* "Yeah, I don't see a way to open it so it must not have a battery.; that's weird, it says you need one." They use the Ilco brand stuff. I looked it up, and Ilco sells a regular transponder key for the Neon. Not a battery powered one.

He had himself a little huff when I said I'd just go to the dealer then for a key. "Well, you are going to pay twice what we charge." To which I responded, "Yeah, but I'm not going to have to worry about my key not working when I need it to and then pay another $65 here in a few years for another." "Well...yeah."

Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Isakill
Professional

That's a man that I wouldn't do business with EVER.
A good neighbor of mine has this philosophy:
"Fool me once shame on you, Guess what. It won't happen again because I'm done."

I can't stand liars.
I know better because I know of not a SINGLE piece of locksmithing literature that states that "Only Battery powered keys can be used" Even keys with remote fobs on them don't use these crappy transponders.

For 8.99 a piece plus shipping I can have a new un-programmed keyblank. But it's useless without a programmer.

Appears Strattec Discontinued the blanks as well.. I might buy one and send it off to one of my Locksmithing buddies to clone.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:54 PM
TRAVISCADELLO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now it turns over and get lots of fuel, but no spark, changed coil pack and crank sensor and still notthing.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:57 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Isakill
That's a man that I wouldn't do business with EVER.
A good neighbor of mine has this philosophy:
"Fool me once shame on you, Guess what. It won't happen again because I'm done."

I can't stand liars.
I know better because I know of not a SINGLE piece of locksmithing literature that states that "Only Battery powered keys can be used" Even keys with remote fobs on them don't use these crappy transponders.

For 8.99 a piece plus shipping I can have a new un-programmed keyblank. But it's useless without a programmer.

Appears Strattec Discontinued the blanks as well.. I might buy one and send it off to one of my Locksmithing buddies to clone.
Good quote for sure!

Yeah, I have found blanks for about that much too. It's just the darn programming part I'm trying to get help with (help being not paying $75 somewhere at a shop/dealership if it all possible). I'm going to try the city. There's got to be a place that knows better down there.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Isakill
Professional

If I had a cloner I'd do it for like 30 bucks to recoup the cost of the equipment.

I'll tell you how far that guy would go with that "cliffs notes" on his philosophy.
The local tire shop ticked him off once over paying to mount tires.. He looked at the owner and told him he would never do business with him ever again.. the proceeded to go and buy his own tire machines!

Edit:
@OP what code is the PCM (computer) puking up at you? cause I know the check engine light is on.

Last edited by Isakill; 08-12-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 00 neon sputtered, then shut down and now notthing at all.