2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Spark Plugs Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:00 PM
eurotunerz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs Question

I have heard from some people that changing your spark plugs from stock to like platinum or some after market spark plugs that gives you some kind of a horse power is that true??? I don't think it is but if it's true why not do that

Thanks mates

Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 PM
BroodRed
Professional

I use NGK Iridium tipped plugs. I noticed a better/smoother idle however there is no horsepower increase to be gained from a spark plug.

I know people on here swear by Champion's but I prefer NGKs.

DO NOT use platinum plugs or diamond plugs.. Too much spark in the cylinder is just as bad as not enough.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 PM
eurotunerz

Thanks that is what i have heard that platinum plugs are not good for the neons and about the horse power i knew that was some kind of a joke but it was worth double checking since i wasn't sure

Cheers mate

Old 09-07-2010, 01:40 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BroodRed
DO NOT use platinum plugs or diamond plugs.. Too much spark in the cylinder is just as bad as not enough.
That makes no sense what-so ever. You don't want to use platinum plugs in a Neon due to the waste-spark ignition system. More spark is better...ever heard of MSD? On both of those notes, anything besides copper plugs is a waste for a stock/non-boosted Neon because, simply put, that's all it needs to run efficiently. At ~$9 for a set of the Champion plugs, and ~$10 for the NGK copper plugs, enjoy the low cost for the same job getting done.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:54 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

actually my ngk plugs were around 5 to 6bucks and I have had all sorts of plugs over the 6yrs I have had my sxt and I prefer the ngks over champion or anyothers.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:53 PM
BroodRed
Professional

I knew there was something bad about those plugs but I wasn't sure. Thanks darth.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:29 PM
KARR
Record Breaker

Thats right I need to change my plugs. Welcome OP to DF!

Old 09-08-2010, 11:59 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

I dont get why some put down platinum plugs I know alot of guys and gals that run them in there neon and srt4 and other rides and love them . I have run them and never had any trouble just changed due to my neon had like 30thousand on them. Its all an op actually about why likes what plugs anyways.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:18 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not about putting platinum plugs down. They generally don't work very well in a waste-spark ignition system; which is what the Neon has. They came in my car when I bought it, unknown to me. It worked fine, but as I said, there is NO point in spending the extra money because they simply aren't needed, whether they happen to work in your Neon or not. Most people have had issues using them.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:07 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-I'd say go with the NGK V-Power plugs. I had them in my Neon for a few years then replaced them with stock Champions when the NGKs wore out a bit too much for my taste. At first I liked the Champions. But lately I just feel like the NGKs gave me a touch better throttle response along with an extra couple MPG on the highway. I will be changing them back before we head out on vacation in a week and a half.

L8R,
Matt

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs Question