2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

5x100 ET35, 215/50/17s - what suspension options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Nike10622
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5x100 ET35, 215/50/17s - what suspension options?

Hi everyone,

I've read a few different threads about different suspensions being able to allow clearance for different sized tires and such... and even with that I'd feel a bit more comfortable starting my own to see if anyone can give me somewhat of a comprehensive list here...

Anyhow, long story short, I have a set of 5x100 BBS RCs with an offset of 35 from another car of mine that I'd like to run on my neon. They have 215/50/17 rubber on them - and I'd like to leave it that way . What suspension options would be available to me such that those will clear. I believe that SRT4 suspension would work and some aftermarket coilovers and such, but could anyone confirm for me? I have 103k on the car and I'm moving into suspension/strut mounts/etc... now so buying all new stuff isn't a concern honestly. Whatever will work best is what's preferred, but I plow miles on some something super hardcore isn't ideal - but stiff is ok relatively speaking. Let me know what you know!

Thanks everyone!
-Trevor

Old 09-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Nike10622
Amateur

Anyone please? Just a basic list of coilovers, spring + strut kits, or even SRT-4 or whatever that would work to clear that sized tire. Thanks!

Old 09-15-2010, 10:14 PM
sapporo
Banned
Old 09-16-2010, 02:32 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AFAIK, if you just get aftermarket struts, that will give you more tire size choices. A 215/40/17 should fit with stock struts, so you aren't too far off. If you don't want "super hardcore," don't get coilovers.

Either way, it is going to be very close with that 50 ratio.

Last edited by darthroush; 09-16-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Nike10622
Amateur

Originally Posted by darthroush
AFAIK, if you just get aftermarket struts, that will give you more tire size choices. A 215/40/17 should fit with stock struts, so you aren't too far off. If you don't want "super hardcore," don't get coilovers.

Either way, it is going to be very close with that 50 ratio.
I figured they wouldn't go with stock struts from what I've been reading, though I'm not 100% sure as to why - my belief is that it may be due to the spring perch rather than the diameter of the strut itself? I believe I've read you can run wider/taller tires with the stock SRT-4 suspension? I believe my buddy has 225/xx/17s on his currently without issue. Unfortunately I can't say for sure if they're 40, 45, or 50s - which of course would matter. So I was thinking maybe I'd have to go to something with a narrower spring perch - usually a coilover. I have a set of Konis on my other car and don't mind them at all, so it's not out as an option. I'd like to try to stay like $400-500, but I could go more if needed. I'm going to do new strut mounts and such while I'm in there.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:48 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes, it is the strut perch. Some have cut them off or hammered them flat on stockers. You can run wider/taller tires on an SRT-4 suspension due to the different struts that come equipped on them. They are Tokico Whites or Illuminas or something like that. You do have a +35 offset compared to the factory +40 or+42 for the SRT wheels though. That should help a bit, but if the height is too great, you could have fender rubbing issues due to the offset. A trade-off I suppose. You might just look into an SRT set-up anyways. With a lower mileage set-up, I don't see having too many problems with it. Might even be the cheapest option if you can find a good deal.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Nike10622
Amateur

Originally Posted by darthroush
Yes, it is the strut perch. Some have cut them off or hammered them flat on stockers. You can run wider/taller tires on an SRT-4 suspension due to the different struts that come equipped on them. They are Tokico Whites or Illuminas or something like that. You do have a +35 offset compared to the factory +40 or+42 for the SRT wheels though. That should help a bit, but if the height is too great, you could have fender rubbing issues due to the offset. A trade-off I suppose. You might just look into an SRT set-up anyways. With a lower mileage set-up, I don't see having too many problems with it. Might even be the cheapest option if you can find a good deal.
Sorry to keep asking questions... but you're a wealth of knowledge

Do the SRT-4s also utilize different springs then? Or the perches are just narrower with the same springs? With the ET35 that should give me more width, but obviously not height as you mentioned... What are good coilover options for these cars? Is there anything like a Koni that is reasonably priced w/a lifetime warranty? I had a heck of a time finding anything, but I also searched SXT, but probably would have better luck with searching SRT4 haha.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:48 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes, they aren't too much of a drop (~0.5" or so, IIRC), but they have a much more performance-oriented spring rate. The struts are completely different than what come on a non-SRT Neon. The non-SRT Neons have...whatever they are and the SRT's come with a Tokico strut; also more performance oriented.

As for coilovers, the popular ones are the Megan's, BC's and Tein's. IIRC, either the Megan or BC is a relabeled version of the other, but cheaper. I can't remember which, providing that is correct. I wouldn't count on any sort of lifetime warranty though.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Nike10622
Amateur

Well, I've found all of the coilovers and then some aftermarket parts for the SRT suspension... I think I'm going to be looking on eBay/SRTForums or something for stock suspension that someone wants to sell - within reason at least. That'll definitely be enough to fit those tires + wheels, right? If not I'll just go with some Megans or something I guess...

Old 09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You should only need the struts and springs. Nothing too crazy. I usually see 'em on Craigslist. Again though, it's going to be a close fit (if they do fit) with that high sidewall. I've not really heard of anyone using a 50 series.

Quick Reply: 5x100 ET35, 215/50/17s - what suspension options?