2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

need help on Oil light problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Mad Professor
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on Oil light problem.

Hello all, I need help on my 2003 Dodge Neon SE.

Car has 107K miles, regularly maintained.
5W30 Amsoil
Last oil change: last week @ 106910 Miles, next change 111910
Timing belt replaced @ 81000
Car is driven in Central Florida.

I seem to have an annoying problem with the oil light.

It started back I think in march of this year, I was driving on a toll road and I came off an exit to a stop light and the oil light came on. So I pulled off to walgreen's and waited 10 minutes and checked the oil and levels looked ok. Drove home and the light never came back on.

The next couple of months it came on and off randomly, at idle/stop, short errands/come back restart, light comes on immediately.

We took it to our mechanic which is a *family owned business with ASE/UTI certified mechanics* @ 95k for an oil change told them what problems we were having and they said it was the oil pressure switch which only cost $15. It was replaced and the problem didn't show until week and half later. SO we ignored it for acouple of months.

I noticed a pattern with it, It never comes on at night when I go to work. Comes on only in the day. When starting cold it's fine, but when you reach your detestation and go do whatever you do in a 30 minute period and return to your car and start it again the oil light comes on immediately . But then you shut it down and start it again in consecution it's fine. When the light comes on, it never goes off until you shutdown the engine and restart.

Last week we took it back in for an oil change and said that pesky oil light comes on. They did a diagnostic on the computer and no errors reported, also they didn't find anything unusual in the drained oil or oil filter.
They also did few other things to check to make sure it was getting pressure and the oil pump wasn't being flaky.

I'm not sure what the problem is.

Also when driving, the engine sounds and runs fine, no pings, knocks, cam chatter, or vibration.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for reading and any help appreciated.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:57 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

My 04 sxt has done this for awhile now and the dealership said it was the oil light sensor and its like 25bucks at the dealership and still have not gotten around to getting one.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:10 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of the time, it is the pressure sensor. I believe I paid right around $14 for a Dodge one, from the dealership. Some extra thread sealant and a 1 1/16" deep socket and you'll be set! Change it after the car has sat a bit, and pretty much no oil will come out during the change either.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:26 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

They dont call it a oil pressure sensor at autozone they call it a oil pressure switch which I got for 10.99 .

Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Mad Professor
Amateur

Got around to replacing it, apparently the one they put in was defective that required a proprietary tool to remove, since none of my sockets would fit 7/8 to 1" 1/2. When I got it out, the plastic part that holds the wiring harness was loose you could twist it a little each way. When the engine was cold, the metal was tight, and when it was hot the metal expanded causing it to be loose and the oil pressure switch would give a bad reading. No more oil light.

6 months later.. sorry.

Quick Reply: need help on Oil light problem.