2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

No 2nd Gear in auto trans neon

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:51 AM
stampede20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No 2nd Gear in auto trans neon

I know this is a Dodge forum, but they must be the same...and I need help!
2000 Plymouth Neon. 132,000miles. Auto trans.

My neon just lost 2nd gear. I noticed one day while driving that it wouldn't shift into 2nd gear as quickly as it used to. It would rev a little higher in 1st, and then slip slowly into second. Within 50 miles, 2nd gear was gone all-together.

Now, I have to start in 1st and speed up to about 23-26mph, before it shifts straight to 3rd. Also sometimes, after going fast and then stopping, when I start speeding up again, the transmission is stuck in 3rd. If I put the gas to the floor, it will shift to 1st. I have developed the habit of shifting into neutral and back into drive when stopped at a light. If I do that, it will always start in 1st gear.

Can anyone help me? The car runs fine with the exception of not having 2nd gear! No check engine lights or anything...and the lockup is working fine in 3rd gear.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:58 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
All neon's are the same, weather its a plymouth, chrysler or dodge. I going to guess you have 3 speed transmission. If it is.Its time for a overhaul or replacement.Sorry for the bad news.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:43 AM
stampede20

It is the 3 speed transmission.

Are you pretty confident it couldn't be something more simple like a sensore or solenoid or adjustment of some sort? If its really in need of replacement, I don't think that I will be putting that kind of money into it.

Will it hurt it further to just drive it like it is? If I let the car rev up until I get to 25-30mph, I just let it shift to 3rd, and then I just slowly speed up. Most of my driving is highway with this vehicle, and I'll just drive it like it is if I won't hurt it further.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:30 AM
leprechaun1874
Professional

Keep driving it like it is and you will need a new trans. Right now you proablly can rebuild yours and be fine. If you don't want to spend any money on the trans it might be a good time to sell the car.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:01 AM
sapporo
Banned

Master Tech is the MASTER of transmissions. when he says it needs a rebuild, then it's definitely shot. there are NO solenoids or sensors on the 3speed trans. it's purely hydraulically controlled no computer involved.

Quick Reply: No 2nd Gear in auto trans neon