2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Time For Fun During Vacation...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:34 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time For Fun During Vacation...

-Well, my '05 SXT is sitting at just under 93k. So I just put my order in on the Advance Auto site for a timing belt kit that includes the water pump and new belt tensioner. Figured while I was doing that, I also got a new serpentine belt, upper and lower hoses, and tranny filter kit. All this including taxes ran $227. A little chunk of cash, but if I would have walked up to the counter and bought the same things, it was going to be $266 BEFORE taxes.

-All I have left to pick up is the ATF+4, thermostat, and antifreeze. Might as well knock it all out at once instead of stringing it along. Besides that, I want this car in top mechanical condition when we start vacation in June. So three weeks from now during my first vacation, I'm going to be having one heck of a good time under the hood of this car. It's gonna be a looong day.........

L8R,
Matt

Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Well have fun and good luck should really run better after the tune up as I call it. I might be doing the same thing sooner or later if Iwant my sxt to last another yr or two seeing she now has 196,000 on her and did all this a little after she had 100,000 on her. So advance is the place to go online to get everything for 227 great to know never ordered from an auto store onlinw before.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-Yeah, neither have I. But at the top of the page here was an ad from Advance. I already had the parts on their site in my shopping cart to print out to buy them tomorrow. On the Advance Auto site, it shows that you can get 15% off of an internet order and either pick it up at your local shop or have it shipped to you. A little looking around got me a 20% off code to use at checkout. So before taxes, it dropped my order total from $266 to $213. Not bad I must say...

L8R,
Matt

Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Im going to have to give it a try also and see if I get the same price.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:27 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-Give it a shot. If your total runs over $200, use the code P20 in the box at the bottom of the shopping cart page. It gave me a better discount than the other ones.

L8R,
Matt

Old 01-26-2011, 10:40 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should replace the accessory belt tensioner pulley and motor mount since those have to come out anyways to get to the timing belt.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:34 AM
j_son600
Veteran

Can't believe I'm getting ready for the same procedure, seems like the other day I was driving my 05 off the lot with 5 miles on it............... Now it's at 90k, how time fly's... My question is, shouldn't you also do the oil pump while your in there? Just wondering as I'm getting ready to do this come spring.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not necessary. You could if you really wanted I suppose, but if your oil pressure is fine, there is no need to. They are a replace-as-necessary item.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Well unlike you guys I already went through this a 1st time working on doing it 2nd time around if I want my sxt to last alot longer. Noone has a 196,000 on theres as of yet lucky for all of you. Wish I had your guys miles.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:13 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

Originally Posted by showsxt
Well unlike you guys I already went through this a 1st time working on doing it 2nd time around if I want my sxt to last alot longer. Noone has a 196,000 on theres as of yet lucky for all of you. Wish I had your guys miles.
-Yeah, but on my '94 Ford Tempo, I'm pushing 204k. I should be replacing that car by mid to late spring. It's been a pretty good car to me and I've had it for going on 13 years. I've probably put around $2500 in repairs to it over the years, but over the long haul that car has been pretty good.

L8R,
Matt

Quick Reply: Time For Fun During Vacation...