2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Installing a CAI .... quick question ....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:04 AM
TaterTodd
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a CAI .... quick question ....

I'm going to be installing a CAI and I've been looking under the hood getting an idea as to what it's going to take. Pretty easy and common sense from what I'm seeing. But the one thing about it is throwing me is the hardware attached to the box. How exactly does this work with the CAI ... If anyone has come pictures of a CAI installed it would really help me out with how it looks finshed off ... I've included a photo with the area circled to better explein what part I'm talking about. Also I added a pic of the CAI i'm looking at buying ...

The CAI ..

Old 02-27-2011, 02:37 AM
j_son600
Veteran

The part you have "squared" is the throttle body, in the pic's you have the "short" pipe goes between the manifold and then throttle body. In the end you will have a louder intake system, that's more likely to suck in water from the road and screw your engine. There are no actual performance gains.......

Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

If you do other mods sooner or later to go with the intake than yeah the intake will help with hp but by itself no hp gain it just gives your engine bay more to look at.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:39 PM
blacksunshine05
Professional

Go short RAM if you drive the car everyday. Even if the CAI comes with a splash guard you could suck up water.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:46 PM
TaterTodd
Professional

I never thought of the water problem. I'll look into the short ram ....

Old 02-27-2011, 04:52 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some people make that short piece to replace the bellows tube, and then simply buy a cotton-gauze type filter and remove the airbox lid. Homemade short ram.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:38 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alot of the kits are merely a filter change to one that hold on securely(gear clamp) then u leave the top of the airbox off (if you run it with the stock filter on and lid off you will hear what it will sound like (but be carefull as the stock filter relies on the lid to hold in place)
noisy but not really pulling alot of cold air unless you cut a hole in the hood. Or fab some ducting to one of the foglight holes
the bottom of airbox makes for a natural splash shield.

IMHO the 1st gennies had way more choices for intake setups with the TB attached to the intake

Last edited by hemi4spd; 02-27-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:55 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Yeah I had iceman intake setups for both of my 1st gen neons and tb was attached nicely to both especially my r/t with the turbo setup.I hate shortrams . Mines not a shortram and I never had sucked up water and mines a daily driver.

Last edited by showsxt; 02-27-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

I thought he was asking about the electrical sensor (what is "squared off" in the first pic)

...if that is the question, there is usually a hole for that to go in, even in the aftermarket instakes...
here's a shot of my short ram... the electrical connection is the intake temp sensor, of which there was a hole with a rubber grommet and it just gets inserted in the hole...

Old 02-27-2011, 11:14 PM
TaterTodd
Professional

Originally Posted by j_son600
The part you have "squared" is the throttle body, in the pic's you have the "short" pipe goes between the manifold and then throttle body....

J_son, Pablodragon you both answered the question and I appreciate the help. This may sound real stupid but I didn't realize that was the throttle body. I'm used to Mustangs so you can see the confusion in that. Between letting my dumb *** know it was the throttle body and the photo, it definately explained everything that was in my head. Now I have a good idea as to what I'm going to do ... Thanks ....

Quick Reply: Installing a CAI .... quick question ....